Chapter 31

It was evening, and by now most of IceClan was settled down, sharing freshly caught prey, grooming each other and sharing the latest gossip. Patchkit and Dapplekit were parked directly in front of the elders den, listening to Mothflame, Echolight, and Glimmerwing talk about the days when they were warriors, young and strong.

Ripplepaw was sharing a mouse with her brother, Flamepaw, when she heard Dovestar's yowl from on top of the Highrock.

"Let all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath the Highrock for a IceClan meeting!" Dovestar said loud and clear. Ripplepaw and Flamepaw nodded to each other and patted over to join the warriors and apprentices near the base of the Highrock.

At the IceClan leader's summoning meow, cats began emerging from their dens and trotted over to sit beneath the Highrock to see what was happening.

"The biggest honor a leader can do is to turn an apprentice, or two in this case, into warriors. Flurrypaw, come forth." Flurrypaw then went to the base of the Highrock to meet Dovestar. "I, Dovestar, leader of IceClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn." She then looked at Flurrypaw, who raised her head. "Flurrypaw," Dovestar continued, "do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan even at the cost of your life?"

"I do." Flurrypaw replied. "Then by the power of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Flurrypaw, from this moment on you will be known as Flurrycloud. StarClan honors your playfulness and spirit, and we welcome you as a full warrior of IceClan." When she was done, Dovestar then rested her muzzle on Flurrycloud's head, who then licked the leader's shoulder. "Flurrycloud! Flurrycloud! Flurrycloud!" the whole Clan cheered. Orcapaw and Tuskpaw chanted the loudest.

After Flurrycloud stepped back it was Orcapaw's turn to step forward. "I, Dovestar, leader of IceClan, call upon my warrior ancestors to look down on this apprentice. She has trained hard to understand your noble code, and I commend her to you as a warrior in her turn." She then looked over at Orcapaw as she raised her head. "Orcapaw, do you promise to uphold the warrior code and to protect and defend this Clan even at the cost of your life?" Dovestar said. "I do." Orcapaw replied with determination. "Then by the power of StarClan, I give you your warrior name. Orcapaw, from this moment on you will be known as Orcatail. StarClan honors your patience and bravery, and we welcome you as a full warrior of IceClan." She then put her muzzle on Orcatail's head, who licked Dovestar's shoulder.

"Orcatail! Orcatail! Orcatail!" the Clan chanted Orcatail's new name. Orcatail then went to sit beside her sister. "As of tradition, Flurrycloud and Orcatail will sit in silent vigil all night and guard the camp while the rest of us sleep. You are all dismissed." When Dovestar was finished a few cats went to the prey pile to get something to eat before going to sleep for the night.

As cats were heading toward their dens to sleep for the night, Ripplepaw saw Flurrycloud and Orcatail being congratulated by their mentors, Hawkfeather and Silverberry respectively.

•••

When the first rays of sun began peaking through the canopy of the apprentice's den, Ripplepaw slowly began to stir, her tail flicking lazily from left to right and her blue eyes half-opened in the early morning light.

The white-furred she-cat yawned and slowly stood to her paws. Shaking out her fur, the young she-cat slowly patted outside and breathed in the crisp newleaf air. Her whiskers twitched and her tail swooshed from side-to-side. She smiled and quietly patted outside, letting the dawn sunlight wash over her, turning her pelt silver.

She waved her tail in greeting to Flurrycloud and Orcatail as she slowly approached the fresh-kill pile to get something to eat. She chose a vole and patted over to join Sealpaw and Creampaw, who'd both just emerged from the apprentice's den.

As Ripplepaw sat outside near the entrance of the apprentice's den, she took the time to glance around the camp. It was still quite early but the sun was just beginning to peak out from from behind the snowy mountains, making the morning frost shine.