Chapter 9

"May all cats old enough to catch their own prey gather beneath Highrock for a Clan meeting!"

Rosestar's yowl echoed across the camp. Kestrelpaw perked her ears up. After a busy day of hunting practice 'because even medicine cats need to learn how to hunt!' and gathering herbs for their leafbare stores, not to mention hearing every cat's thoughts, Kestrelpaw was ready to relax.

But often Rosestar's meetings were interesting, so Kestrelpaw dropped the robin she was sharing with her brother, Larkpaw, and padded over to Highrock. Rosestar's emerald green gaze swept the Clan. It landed on Kestrelpaw's for a moment, and the orange apprentice strained to hear what the noble BreezeClan leader was thinking.

Is she the one? It could be Rookpaw, or Larkpaw. They all have bird names. But I feel like it's her. Why is she staring at me like that? Yes, she's got to be the one in the prophecy.

What prophecy? Kestrelpaw wondered. But she didn't have to wait long for her answer. Kestrelpaw stumbled as a vision overcame her. It flooded her gaze, and she couldn't move. She could only watch as vision-Rosestar talked to a jet-black starry she-cat with the bluest eyes Kestrelpaw had ever seen. The black cat's words grew louder until Kestrelpaw could hear nothing but those words.

"While an enemy rises ready to fight, five cats will be born from the light. The first like a bird, riding the breeze, the second quiet like misty trees. The third is like ice, beautiful and bright, the fourth storms through, like a light. To find the fifth, look to the east. Then all five cats will bring the peace."

The vision ended abruptly and Kestrelpaw stumbled. What did it mean? Was that her, the one like a bird, riding the breeze? And did that mean there were other cats like her, other cats with unexplainable powers?

Kestrelpaw shrugged to herself. Maybe. She'd think about it later, after she'd gotten a good night's rest.

"Attention, BreezeClan! We are going to attend tonight's Gathering! The cats I have selected are: Briardawn, Barkmaple, Leafcrackle, Swiftstripe, Fernshade, Willowbrook, Rainfur, Kestrelpaw, Rookpaw, Winterpaw, and Larkpaw. The rest of you will stay here and guard the camp. Meeting dismissed." She finished, still staring at Kestrelpaw. Well, so much for a good night's rest! Kestrelpaw thought, but she was happy that she got to attend the Gathering with her littermates. From beside her, Rookpaw's thoughts were whirling.

This is amazing! I get to go to my first Gathering! I wonder what Kestrelpaw thinks?

"This is amazing! I get to go to my first Gathering! What do you think?" Rookpaw meowed. Kestrelpaw stifled a purr. Leave it to Rookpaw to speak her mind!

"It sounds really fun! I can't wait to go!" Kestrelpaw mewed, hoping she sounded excited enough. Winterpaw and Larkpaw purred.

"C'mon, Kessy, Rosestar's leaving!" Winterpaw yowled, and together, the four apprentices followed Rosestar as she padded out of the grassy camp clearing, with the other warriors and apprentices following her as she went.

The Gathering place was in the center of the four Clans. It was surrounded by one oak tree for BreezeClan, a misty pine tree for MistClan, an iceberg for IceClan, and a small rocky hill for StormClan. At the center, a big ancient birch tree sat there, with spots for all the leaders and deputies to sit.

Kestrelpaw gazed at the whole clearing in awe, but got shoved aside by some rude gray-and-black apprentice, MistClan by the looks of it. He glared at Kestrelpaw with his piercing yellow eyes. Kestrelpaw glared back with her yellow eyes.

Dumb BreezeClan kit! The cat thought, sniffing and whirling around to stalk off to his Clanmates. Kestrelpaw just rolled her eyes. She'd expected some other Clan cats to be rude, and this cat was definitely one of those.