Chapter 8

"Lightningkit, do you promise to listen to your mentor and uphold the warrior code?"

Duskstar's mew rang across the StormClan camp. Badgerpaw, already apprenticed to Rockblaze, was staring proudly at his sister. Starlingpaw's and Foxpaw's gaze reflected the same pride as the little gray-and-black she-kit mewed confidently,

"I do." Duskstar smiled at her kit.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, until this kit has become a warrior, she shall be known as Lightningpaw. Dappledawn will be your mentor. Dappledawn, you are quick-witted and brave. I hope you will pass your skills on to Lightningpaw." The brown dappled she-cat dipped her head gratefully.

"I promise to teach this fine young cat all I know." She padded up to Highrock and tapped noses with Lightningpaw. The Clan rose their voices to Silverpelt as they cheered.

"Lightningpaw! Badgerpaw! Lightningpaw! Badgerpaw!" the two young cats lifted their heads in pride, the amber sun behind them making the two young cats look like brands of flame in the new morning light.

The cheering died down.

"Clan meeting dismissed," Duskstar meowed. Lightningpaw and Badgerpaw ran towards Starlingpaw and Foxpaw.

"Wasn't that great?" Lightningpaw mewed excitedly. Her gray fur standing up on her back, her black tail fluffy. Lightningpaw had always been as energetic as her name suggested, while Badgerpaw was more chill and relaxed and kept his three energetic, feisty apprentice friends in check. Foxpaw nodded enthusiastically, her red fur just as fluffy.

"Yeah! Now we can all be apprentices together!" Starlingpaw tipped her head to the side, thoughtful.

"I wonder why Duskstar didn't just make us all apprentices at the same time. I mean, we're only a moon apart." Badgerpaw shrugged and licked his white paw.

"I don't really know. All that matters to me, is that we're all apprentices!" he mewed happily. Starlingpaw bounced in her seat a little. Foxpaw's eyes sparkled with mischief as she leaned towards Starlingpaw.

"You've got something on your face," she giggled. Lightningpaw and Badgerpaw glanced over to see.

"Yeah, you've definitely got something on your face," Badgerpaw agreed, fluffing out his fur.

"Totally," meowed Lightningpaw, wincing a little and flattening her soft black ears.

Starlingpaw batted at her face self-consciously.

"What is it? Where? Is it big?" she chattered. She thought she saw a gleam of mischief in Foxpaw's amber eyes, but it was gone too quickly for her to tell.

"It's this!" Foxpaw swatted her nose and sprang back, rolling over with laughter.

"Ahahahaha! Your face!" Foxpaw crowed. Starlingpaw flattened her ears, gathered her paws under her fluffy belly, and pounced on her. The two apprentices tussled for a moment before Starlingpaw eventually pinned Foxpaw down.

"Ha! I win!" she cheered. Foxpaw purred and stuck her tongue out in mock death.

"Fine! I give in! Just get off me, you big lump of fur!" she laughed, scrabbling with her paws to get out. Starlingpaw rolled her bright yellow eyes and padded off the russet she-cat. Off to the side, Lightningpaw and Badgerpaw were stifling their giggles. Starlingpaw sighed at the three of them.

"Whatever. I'll let you three do what it is you want to do. I'm going to go exploring." She stuck her chin in the air. Foxpaw squealed and jumped up.

"Can I come with you?" she asked her. Starlingpaw considered this, then decided to let her. Why not? Foxpaw was her best friend, after all, and what better fun to have then to explore the very best Clan with her very best friend?