Chapter 25

It was silent for what felt like moons after Bluepaw spoke. It was so silent that the only sound that could be heard was the distant chirping of birds.

Finally, after what felt like three sunrises of waiting, Flowingstream finally spoke up to break the tension.

"So... let me get this straight..." Flowingstream began in a shaky voice. "You were talking to a ghost cat who wants to meet you in your dreams?"

Bluepaw could only nod her head slowly in response.

Flowingstream sighed and flicked her tail from left to right, deep in thought as she stared into Bluepaw's frosty blue eyes.

"Well..." she began, thinking carefully before speaking up again. "I don't know why or how you were able to talk with a ghost cat... but it seems like whoever this cat is, she must have chosen to speak with you for a reason."

Bluepaw shuffled her paws uncomfortably and stared up at Flowingstream with nervous eyes. "So, what exactly are you trying to tell me then?"

The medicine cat apprentice sighed again and curled her tail over her back paws, her green eyes narrowed as she tried to think of a better way to explain what she meant.

The cinamon tabby had just opened her mouth to reply when a rustling in the bushes made the two cats whip their heads around to see what was causing the noise.

Bluepaw's ears flattened and her eyes narrowed, she was ready for a fight, but what came out of the bushes made the blue-gray apprentice relax her battle-ready stance.

What, or who came out of the bushes was Rushingwater, followed by the rest of the hunting patrol. The other cats aside from Rushingwater were: Nighthunter, Softpaw, Goldenleaf, Dawnlight, Ravenwing, Palepaw, Leafpaw, and Flashcloud.

Goldenleaf was the first one to speak once she caught sight of Flowingstream and Bluepaw.

"Huh? Flowingstream? Bluepaw? What are you two doing out here?"

Bluepaw blinked owlishly up at Goldenleaf, who just flicked her tail from side-to-side, patiently waiting for the blue-gray apprentice to answer her question.

"You still haven't answered my question, Bluepaw," Goldenleaf meowed, her hazel eyes shone in the sun as she turned toward her. "Why are you and Flowingstream out here in the forest by yourselves?"

"We were hunting for prey," Flowingstream cut in, jumping into the conversation. "And Bluepaw's also helping me gather herbs."

Goldenleaf blinked and glanced over at the two mice and the starling that were laying nearby Bluepaw's paws. "Oh, I see. Well in that case, why don't you two join our hunting patrol, we could use a few extra paws."

"We'd love to!" Bluepaw replied with a soft purr, she then turned her attention to Flowingstream, who was scanning the clearing for herbs. "Do you wanna join us?" she asked the cinnamon tabby.

Flowingstream blinked and shook her head to clear it. She nodded and smiled sweetly at Bluepaw, who blushed and ducked her head. "I'd love to!" she purred, brushing her tail over Bluepaw's shoulder as she walked past her.

Bluepaw's pelt burned and she felt her heart hammering heavily in her chest. What in StarClan's name is wrong with me? Bluepaw mentally screamed in her mind. Was Rainbow right when she said I was in love with Flowingstream? Bluepaw shook her head and hastily groomed her fur, and then she picked up her three peaces of prey and quickly patted after Flowingstream.

As Bluepaw and the rest of the hunting patrol continued patting deeper into the woods, Bluepaw's mind kept flashing back to what Rainbow had first told her. Why are you so jumpy around this Flowingstream cat? Is it that you like her? Well she's a medicine cat apprentice, and as such she can't fall in love. But I pity you, she really is a beautiful cat. Bluepaw sighed softly to herself and shook her head back-and-forth. No, no, no, that couldn't be right... could it? Did she really have a crush on Flowingstream? The blue-gray molly tried to deny the fuzzy feeling growing in her chest, no, that just can't be right! Besides, Flowingstream is a medicine cat apprentice, and as such, she can't fall in love.