Chapter 45

Daykit bounced excitedly from paw to paw as she watched the other cats go about their daily tasks. The small white kitten giggled softly as a stray leaf tickled her nose, her blue eyes gleaming like the sea, their blue pools brimming with a mix of eagerness and curiosity.

The fluffy white kitten was shaken from her musings by a cool nose brushing against her flank.

It was Nightkit, her littermate.

Unlike Daykit, who had fluffy white fur that blended nicely into the snow, Nightkit had fur as black as the night with white paws and underbelly the same color as Daykit's pelt.

Nightkits green eyes gleamed like emeralds in the light of the sun, and her silky fur shimmered like the night sky.

The two littermates were closer than any other cats in BreezeClan had ever been. One was never seen without the other, and they were so close that at times, they would finish each other's sentences.

"Daykit! Nightkit!" came the call of their mom, Silkshade. "It's time for the two of you to take a nap."

The two kits shared a look before turning and padding back into the nursery.

"What were you two doing out there?" Silkshade asked her two kits as she groomed their fur. "And how on StarClan's green earth did you both get so dirty?"

"We were helping Kestrelpaw gather herbs, and we ran into Darkfeather and Starlingpaw on our way back to camp." Daykit informed her mother with a soft purr and an excited flick of her tail.

Silkshade gave an amused purr as she finished cleaning off the dirt and mud from Daykit's pelt.

"Don't forget you two that later at dusk Rosestar is holding your apprentice ceremonies," the silver and black dappled queen reminded them with a flick of her tail. "So there will be no crazy antics until after the ceremony, do you understand?"

Daykit and Nightkit both nodded their heads in understanding.

"Yes Silkshade!" they replied in unison. "We promise not to get dirty!"

Silkshade chuckled in amazement and twitched her whiskers. "Go on and play you two, I'll let you know when it's time for the ceremony."

The two kits nodded and quickly dashed out of the den, heading outside to play until sundown.

•••

"All cats old enough to climb a tree, join beneath Highrock for a BreezeClan meeting!" Rosestar's mew rang across the BreezeClan camp.

At the BreezeClan leader's summoning meow, cats began emerging from their dens and trotted over to sit around the Highrock to see what was happening.

"Noble cats of BreezeClan! We gather here today for one of our most important announcements. The making of new apprentices!" Rosestar yowled. Nightkit squealed excitedly from beside her, and Daykit bumped her flank playfully. Rosestar looked down at the two bouncing kits.

"Daykit and Nightkit, please step up to Highrock." She mewed. Daykit dashed up to the top, trying to be in the front, but Nightkit was faster than her and beat her to the top. Rosestar glanced down at the impatient Nightkit. She smiled at her large leaf-green eyes, which were widened in both nervousness and excitement.

"Nightkit, do you promise to listen to your mentor and uphold the warrior code?"

"I do," Rosestar smiled down at the sleek-furred jet-black she-kit.

"Then by the powers of StarClan, until this kit has become a warrior, she shall be known as Nightpaw. Dapplewing will be your mentor. Dapplewing, you are quick-witted and brave. I hope you will pass your skills onto Nightpaw." The brown-and-white tortoiseshell she-cat dipped her head gratefully.