Chapter 3

A/n Banner on the side made by the appetence. 

Chapter 3

Eli slumps into his couch and takes a swig of his beer. He clicks his fingers before reaching for his laptop to scour the internet to find all he can about Ivy Stanford. Well, at least he can now put a name to a face, even if he can’t get a date with her. Although obtaining that name hadn’t been very difficult. It’d been just his luck when he’d met a female employee of the diner at his club last night. Naturally with it being his club and him being a Carter, the girl had willing parted with the information. Unfortunately she hadn’t been working there long so didn’t know much. Nonetheless, with his skills all he needs is a name and every piece of item to do with Ivy Stanford on the internet can be found.

An hour later and Eli has to slam the laptop lid down. What the hell?! Has she never heard of Facebook, Twitter, the internet?! Great. Now what’s he going to do. He knows absolutely nothing about her and if wants to find out about her, he’ll have to do it the traditional way. Get her to talk to him. Something which judging by their previous ‘conversations’ isn’t exactly a brilliant plan.

“Jake?”
“Yeah, what’s up, Eli?” mumbles the voice on the other end of the phone.
“How quick do you think you can get over here?” asks Eli.
“Shit. Another threesome?! Dude, it’s like mid-day. But...is she hot?-”
“No it’s not that....It’s...something else. I need your help,” explains Eli, receiving silence on the other end.
“Jake?”
“You’re not coming out are you?”
“No! Look, just get your lazy ass over here,” he commands annoyed before hanging up.

As Jake knocks on the door, Eli lets him in only to have him follow behind into the lounge.
“So what’s wrong?” he asks, seeing his best friend, sat thinking hard. At the question Eli sighs and runs his hand through his hair.
“I found my mate,” he explains, the one sentence bringing silence throughout the room.
“And?” asks Jake after a moment.
“What do you mean ‘and’? She won’t fucking go on a date with me!” exasperates Eli. Jake’s eyebrows scrunch in confusion as he tries to process what his friend just said actually meant.
“You mean...you actually want to be with her?” he slowly questions.
“Duh, of course I do,” shrugs Eli.
“But why? You and me, bro, we don’t do serious...relationships, remember?” Jake points out. Since meeting 5 years ago, both Jake and Eli, had hit it off due to their very womanizing ways. At first it was petty rivalry to see who get the most women, who was the ultimate man-slut; but throughout the years, this competition was pushed aside for a greater, stronger bond of bothers. Nonetheless, neither were prepared nor willing to be in a committed relationship and the very prospect of that would scare them both-or at least, it had.

“Jake, you don’t understand. My parents would kill me-they’d hate me-if I reject my mate. You have no idea how much shit I would be in if...I have to...I don’t know, get her to like me? Date her, I’m not sure. But I just can’t...reject her,” tries explaining Eli; although, even to him it’s puzzling. It’s not like he wants to give up the great, carefree life he has now for a more complicated relationship, but he just can’t let his mate go. His parents had raised him not to do that, his father being confident he wouldn’t; so doing what he wants is simply out of the question. Perhaps it won’t be too bad, pipes Eli’s mind. Maybe, a real relationship will be...nice. Yeah right, he then snorts to himself. As if. All the dates to remember, all the things he’ll have to do, dealing with her when she’s on her period or feeling sour...no way can he cope with all that....but he has to try.
“Alright....so date her,” answers Jake causing Eli to sigh dramatically.
“That’s what I’m saying! She won’t go on a date with me!” cries Eli, arms flying helplessly up to try express his annoyance.
“You’re kidding right?! She won’t go on a date with you?!” chuckles Jake in glee at the expense of his friend.
“Asshole,” mutters Eli, chucking a couch cushion into Jake’s face.
“I think we need to record this, actually. The great Eli Carter, can’t even get a date with his mate! Oh God...That’s hilarious,” caries on teasing Jake much to Eli’s fury.
“Yeah, ha-ha, you should be a stand-up comedian...” he sarcastically retorts, “no, but seriously. What do I do?”
Letting himself chuckle a few more times, Jake then sobers up and ponders over the predicament.