Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Eli takes in a deep breath before walking into the diner. He only hopes that she’s read his note and her will has bent even just a little. Both Jake and him were running out of ideas to win the woman over and even Eli feels his own inner strength cracking. How can he carry on pursuing like some fool when she doesn’t even give a hint to weakening to him?

“You’re here,” gasps Ivy as she sees the man walking in.
“Yeah, can I talk to you?” asks Eli lowly. Ivy blinks her eyes, shocked at the serious tone of the man.
“Um...sure, I’ll take my break now,” responds Ivy, telling the others that she’ll be back in half an hour and grabbing her coat. 
Buttoning up her coat, her and Eli step out into the street and awkwardly waiting for the other to speak.
“Shall we go to the park?” she offers, receiving only a nod from him.

Ivy has to admit, she’s nervous. He hasn’t said a word. And that’s something that’s confusing her. He should be spouting out some generic chat-up lines he found on the Internet or..or, doing some other cocky thing. Not just walking beside her in silence. As they sit down on the park bench, Ivy can’t take it any longer.

“Okay, what’s the deal? Why are you so quiet?” she finally asks.
“Why won’t you give me a chance? The real reason. Have you been hurt before? Is that it?”
“No that’s...that’s not it...Look, I can’t-I can’t be in a relationship at the minute. I have other...things. I can’t afford to have that responsibility too-”
“You don’t have to. I’m not asking for marriage. I just...go on one date with me. Pretend we’re even friends, or that you even remotely like me,” half-smiles Eli.
Ivy feels her heart squeeze unconsciously. She can’t help feel bad for causing that spark to dim in him.
“I guess...I guess I could do that. I mean, pretend to like you that is,” teases Ivy. Eli chuckles and shakes his head. Okay, maybe this is working....he thinks the light rekindling in his heart.
“Well, it’s a good thing you don’t have to pretend too hard...you know, seeing as I’m so likeable and all,” retorts Eli smiling widely and flashing his pearly straight white teeth.
“Sure...But there’s conditions to the date,” points out Ivy.
“Conditions?” Well this is new, he thinks to himself.
“Yep. I get to choose where we go. And you...have to stop with the false pretences. No fake serenading and lying, okay? You have to completely be yourself. Can you do that?” she challenges, eyebrows raised in question.
"Easy," shrugs Eli with confidence. After all being himself is the easiest thing he can do. And then at least if she still insists that she doesn't like him, he can just honestly say it was her not him, and that the univervse must have screwed up. 

"Good. Then meet me at the diner at 2pm on Friday evening."

"Sure....But where would we be going?"

"You just leave that to me, Stud,"  retorts Ivy.

" 'Stud'?" grins Eli widely in teasing. Hot, sexy, handsome those were the typical descriptions of himself that he's heard before, never 'stud'. He can't help grin at her description of him and although he knows she meant it as an insult, he can't help feel that it's progress. 

"Shut up," mutters Ivy blushing bright red in mortification. She can't believe that she even let that slip. Where did that even come from?! Oh well, at least she didn't let slip something else like 'sexy'; now that she would never live down. 

"'Stud and Tinks', got a nice ring to it, don't you think?" laughs Eli winking at his embarrassed mate. 

Ivy's blush dims and she raises an eyebrow trying to convey a less than impressed expression but with the smile plastered on her face it looked more of an amused emotion. 

"Not really," she mutters. 

"Yeah, you're right, I'm not sweet. I'm hot, sexy-er anyway...So what am I supposed to be wearing for this mystery date?" coughs Eli quickly changing his previous topic seeing her flat look.