Epilogue

Epilogue

Weight drops onto her shoulder, snapping her out of her mental trance. Her eyes flutter open and she blinks away the tears in them to be clearly shown her mother’s name engraved into the hard, bleak stone. It’s hard for Ivy to believe that her mother who was such a colourful, wonderful person now after death has a physical reminder that is the exact opposite of everything she was. Ivy sighs softly in sadness, her eyes flickering over to the headstone beside her mother’s-her father’s. A bittersweet sorrow fills her chest as she selfishly wishes they could be with her but at least they’re together. Her mother had lost her father before Ivy could comprehend the love between couples. All she’d ever known was the bond of mother and child however now....now, she truly can understand, especially now she has found that attachment with someone.
“Tinks? Are you ready?” asks her rock, her love.
“Yeah...Let’s go,” she replies leaning into his warmth.
“Okay but are you sure you want to go? I mean, we don’t have to. You can meet them another time,” he assures her.
She rolls her eyes and smiles up at him.
“You can’t put this off forever Eli. Soon, I’m going to know all your little secrets,” she grins causing his navy eyes to light in joy.
“You should know that I don’t have any secrets, Tinks. I’m all open!” he proudly states dropping his arm from her shoulder to tug her into him from her slim, exposed waist.
With it being a bright and sunny day, they’d both dressed accordingly. Eli in his cargo short and grass green cotton t-shirt, along with some shades and flip-flops: And Ivy with her light blue jean shorts and a flowery, soft crop top. Ivy had been worried it wasn’t exactly the most appropriate outfit to meet her boyfriend’s parents but having been reassured that they’ve seen a lot worse from his previous girls’, Ivy was quick to respond with a short slap to Eli’s chest and a content smile.

Ivy glances once more at her mother’s grave, the memory of her funeral just last week flashing through her mind. It was just last Saturday that Ivy had had the impending, horrible call from the hospital to confirm her mother’s death. That night after working like a zombie throughout the day she’d cried herself to sleep. Her only comfort that weekend had been Eli’s return on Monday. In his arms she’d managed to just about hold herself together throughout the week and the funeral. And now even though Dawn’s death is still tender in Ivy’s heart and mind, she’s strangely a little relieved that her mother can now rest at last in peace joined with her father and that she can move forward with her life. Also the prospect of gaining a new family is a little exciting for her. Having sisters and brothers and another father and mother, it’s like some lucid dream for Ivy.

“Okay, you ready? Nervous?”
“ ‘Nervous’? Why would I be nervous? Nope, I’m just excited, now let’s go!” grins Ivy hopping out of the car. With a short mumbled prayer, Eli joins her and together they stride towards the entrance of the looming mansion.
Ringing the doorbell they find themselves waiting a while before the oak screen swings open and a tall, broad man grins at them.
“Eli! What are you doing here? Didn’t mom tell you? She’s officially decided to disown you-”
“Har-har, very funny. No wonder you can’t get girls Ade, you’re jokes suck as bad as your women skills,” teases back Eli causing his eldest brother Adrian to scowl at him before the presence of another blonde catches his attention.
“Eli, you’re going to have to take her back. It’s mom’s birthday, you can’t bring one of your girls here for such an occasion,” scolds Adrian gazing disapprovingly at his younger brother. Ivy’s eyes go wide and her jaw drops slightly.
“Excuse me!-” she cries about to give the man before her a piece of her mind but her mate steps in before that.
“Actually Ade, she’s my only girl....Looks like you’re the last one, brother, because this is my mate-Ivy,” smirks Eli with an arm winding around the petite blonde. His smile blossoms wider as he watches recognition dawn on his brother’s face. Adrian Carter is now officially the last to find his mate out of his brothers. Eli watches as his brother wipes away the emotion from that from his eyes and instead forces a weak smile to spread across his features.
“I’m sorry Ivy, I didn’t mean to offend you. It’s just I assumed with it being Eli and all, that....” apologises Adrian, a rare feat for him.
Ivy shrugs her shoulders and smirks, “yeah, don’t worry about it. I know all about his track record and I can’t say I blame you....He’s a challenge alright.”
Ade’s forced smile transforms into a wide grin and he sidesteps to allow them to enter.
“I bet he is,” mutters Ade to Ivy.
“Yeah..but I’m worth it, right Tinks?” asks Eli. Ivy remains silent as she glances across at him and then to Ade who raises his eyebrows.
“Tinks?” questions Eli again. Ivy witnesses Ade’s lips quirk in amusement at her silence.
“Yeah baby, that’s-that’s right,” unconvincingly nods Ivy in agreement causing Eli to playfully narrow his eyes at her as Adrian grins.
“If you’re quite done being so needy Eli, everyone’s waiting for you guys in the backyard,” intervenes Ade.
“Don’t be jealous Ade, green is not a good colour on you,” mumbles Eli as Ivy and him enter the house.

Eli leads Ivy through the house as Adrian locks up the front door.
“Eli, you didn’t tell me it was your mom’s birthday. I didn’t get her anything!” hisses Ivy biting on her lip.
“Relax, it’s okay. I’ve got it covered,” replies Eli smoothly, directing her out of the large French window’s and onto the decking.

Before Ivy can even glance around and register Eli’s family, a short brunette whizzes past Ivy and to her surprise the girl leaps upon Eli. Ivy’s eyebrows soar high in surprise as the girl squeals Eli’s name. Eli circles his arms tight around her waist and in a quick sweep spins her around. As he places her back on the ground she tries to pout but her cheerful smile wins out.
“You said you’d help with decorating our place,” playfully whines the girl.
“ ‘Our place’?!” exclaims Ivy. As the brunette whips around some of the playfulness dims from her eyes only to be replaced with nerves.
“Um...Ye-Yeah, mine and...Dane’s,” she replies in a quiet tone.
“Dane? So...you must be...Emery?” asks Ivy glancing at Eli in confirmation. Eli gives a small nod and shuffles nearer to Ivy, whilst smiling proudly at Emery.
“Yeah, I am. I’m sorry, do I know you?” she responds.
“Not yet, Em but you have plenty of time to.-”
“What? What do you mean by that? She can’t be your girlfriend, Eli, we all know you don’t have one of those.”
“Hold up. No, she’s not exactly my girlfriend-”
“She’s pregnant,” states a new voice. Another brunette, this time male. His hand rests on Emery’s shoulder and immediately Ivy knows that this is Dane. The words take a moment to register as she identifies him and that unfortunately means her silence seems to confirm his statement.

“I didn’t say that! And you know that wouldn’t be only reason I’d have a steady relationship!” cries Eli in protest trying to continue when someone else cuts in.
“Who’s pregnant?!” calls another voice, this time female. Before Ivy can gasp at a denial the woman in the tan jumpsuit appears beside her and starts examining her.
“She doesn’t look pregnant. Of course, some women hardly show it. Not me though. I was not like that. Especially during the birth of the twins. Boy, was I big. But you know the most important thing is to think positive. Heck, I knew I was constantly terrified of pushing two hefty boys out of my-”
“Mom! Please, that is so gross-”
“I agree with Dane! I do not want to hear about my birth or Mason’s or anyone else’s for that matter,” seconds Eli with a raised hand.
“Oh shush you. It’s perfectly natural. You’ll understand soon enough. It’s wonderful and magical...once it’s over. Until then it’s like some demon has been sent to torture you...Oh, by the way I have a few books on pregnancy. So how far along are you, sweetheart?”
As Rachel pauses for a break, Ivy can finally sigh a breath of relief while silence falls.

“I’m not pregnant,” she exhales. 

“What?!”
“NO! Aw, I really thought Eli would be the one to give me my first grandchild.”
“Mom! Really?”
“Sorry, Dane but you know your brother.”
“Woah, guys stop ganging up on me. Where’s Mason’s, he’s on my side.”
“Yeah right, Eli. Mason’s not-”

“Everybody, shut up!” cries a deep voice that booms with authority. Surprised, Ivy glances up at the man rolling his eyes with a white apron on and a pair of silver tongs in his hands. From his receding hair-line and blonde curls the same blonde shade as Eli’s-Ivy realises that this is Eli’s father.

“What’s going on?” asks a confused Adrian walking into the grouped circle with Ivy as their main attraction. Two more people join and immediately Ivy knows it must be Katy and Mason. With only one glance at Katy, Ivy knows she’s glad she didn’t have to compete her for Eli’s affections. Not that she would have competed against any girl for a guy’s affections, that’s just pathetic, still...if she were that type and she did have to and against Katy, Ivy senses she would have got well and truly throttled. But none of that matters since Katy seems to have her own catch. Gazing at Mason, Ivy’s surprised how...little he appeals to her. Sure, he’s hot. She’d have to be blind not to recognise his rugged good looks and before Eli she would have said her type would be someone like him. Someone who looks a little rough on the edges and all tough and...but now, Ivy can’t imagine anyone replacing Eli.

“Eli was just going to introduce us to his lovely companion,” explains the steady low rumble of Eli’s father. Ivy snaps herself from mindless wandering.
“ ‘Companion’. You mean mate?” asks Adrian.  As Ivy’s eyes glance around she can tell they’re all surprised by that question.
“What come on, you didn’t smell the mark on her?...Oh...Oh! You didn’t. Wow...wow-”
“Shut up Ade-”
“Are you going to make me, Eli?”
“Boys! Really?...Eli, your mate’s here and Adrian, please just...don’t,” sighs Eli’s mother.
“Mom-”
“Eli-”
“No, seriously mom, something’s burning,” presses Eli. That’s when everyone register’s the smell of burning meat.

As everyone jumps to the cindering food, Eli’s mother throws Ivy an apologetic look and with a soft smile mutters, “Welcome to the family sweetheart.”

The End.

A/n Sorry if it was a bit chaotic but that was to give you a feel of the family atmosphere. Also that is the epilogue, hopefully you guys liked how Eli and Ivy grew and developed individually and as a couple. 
Adrian's story will be coming shortly. I have my UKCAT exam next Saturday and I want to leave that 2 week gap between the stories to sort out front covers etc so the first part will be uploaded on 21st September (2 weeks) :) 

Now, for the thank-you's. It has been a pleasure writing for my fans. The comments, likes and messages I recieve and have recieved are always such a pleasure to read and I kid you not-I have read all your comments even if I couldn't reply to them. And as always you guys are so understanding and encourage, not pester, which as a wattpad writer is awesome. So for making my work popular, for reading and commenting and everything else you have done to support me!
Much love and gratitude and (hopefully) see you guys for the next journey from the Carter boys.

xx