03

cooking to save your job
____________________________________
     Every morning you wake up because of your alarm or because people are searching for food in your trash, I heard something fall outside and when I went to the window to check what it was it was a family of three searching and keeping anything they could find like food, clothes, drinks, I looked at all of them and felt there struggles because not everyone is born rich or have the opportunity to become rich I got up from my bed and went to the bathroom. When I was brushing my teeth I heard someone from upstairs yell " YOU ARE NOT TOUCHING MY LEFTOVERS" " WE HAVE TO SHARE TO SURVIVE WE ARE ROOMMATES HELP A MATE OUT" " NO I PAYED I EAT THATS THE RULE" " FUCK YOU!" I continued to hear them argue and soon recognized there voice it was Leon and Nick I put on my uniform for my morning job and made my way downstairs to start packing my lunch but then I over hear footsteps coming from downstairs " Yoo Ty mind if I get one whole piece of your chicken?" I turned around and behind me was Nick but before I was going to respond I overheard a person speaking from behind them " Bro stop tryanna steal food from other people get your own" Leon said when dapping me up " she got two jobs she can at least give me a piece of chicken" I looked at Nick and laughed " I got two jobs because I am efficient and hard working let's also not forget I'm good with the locals and I help them instead of begging for food when you have a whole job" I said grinning at him " I am actually grinding my money for when we really need it I will have enough to all get out of this ghetto town" Nick said " The money won't be useful if you die if starvation" Leon said when handing Nick a slice of pizza " thanks bro" Nick said eating the slice, Leon looked at me and motioned for me to grab a slice of pizza but I kindly refused since I have to make it on time for work. I ran into the restaurant where I worked and went into the little room they have for the cooks I put my a apron on and checked the chart to see if there was anything to cook and correct when I was reviewing it the boss came in " people we have VIP guests and because you all are the cooks all the exceptions are on you and if one thing goes wrong even if it was or wasn't your fault this restaurant will fall out of business I looked at the upset faces of the cooks then I looked down at my hands thinking about what I should say or do to make my cooks feel confident and comfortable " Ty you are our head chief so make the cooking better then what you usually make ok? The fate of this business is all on your hands" he said smiling at me as he left the room I looked at all the gloomy faces of the other cooks so I cleared my throat and walked my way to the front so everyone can see me " we come today as tired mothers, tired daughters, and tired teenagers that didn't get to enjoy the last bit of there childhood but today we can lose it all this business might fall if we don't give it our all and for some this restaurant is all we have so I trust that us as fellow talented cookers will shock the VIP guests because of our COOKING !!" I said with a scream while they all cheered and started feeling confident in themselves so I went back to my usual spot and started thinking about how to make my food extra flavorful.

The vip customers finally arrived and they were seated in-front of the fish aquarium many people like seating there for the view our restaurant isn't as popular as some but our restaurant gets
Recognized because of how well maintained it is, the waiter passed us the notepad of what the vip customers ordered so I gave everyone 2 orders that they need to cook so we can cook it fast and flavorful
" dam this many steaks this early is crazy" Adam said with a laugh " it doesn't matter how they are eating this many steaks in the morning what matters is getting it done so we don't lose our jobs" I said rolling my eyes " let's be honest would you really waste your money on eating steaks this early in the morning instead of eating steak in the night?" " everyone knows that steak is better at night" he said with a chuckle " there rich they can do whatever they want we don't have any right to have opinions when they are the one that's keeping our job open" I said adding flavor to the shrimp soup. He stayed silent then we were all finally done so we passed the plates to the waiter's after we started taking other customers orders, it was break and I started to clean the kitchen while everyone else was eating there lunch " um excuse me ma'am you wouldn't be the person that works at the coffee shop right?" I was mopping the floor then stoped mid way I turned around and saw the guy that was at the coffee shop late at night I then smiled and went up to him " yes that's me" I said with a laugh " I didn't know you worked here I only came here because my parents forced me but I'm glad that I came" he said with a smile I looked around and saw a fancy women and man with suits on and I figured those were the vip guests " those wouldn't be your parents right?" I said with a nervous laugh he looked at the direction I was looking at and nodded his head I was going to respond until I heard my manager cough behind me " Ty I don't mean to bother you but would you mind cooking the vip customers deserts I would ask the others but they aren't as good as our head chief so please?" He said with a pleading look I nodded and he handed me the notepad he then left and I turned around to see the boy still there " your the head chief?" He said with questioning look I nodded my head " you can bake biscuits and you can cook fancy meals what can't you do?" He said with a laugh I chuckled " I'm the best in everything I do" " what's your name?" I said because I've been talking to him yet I still don't know his name " my name is Manson what's yours? " my name is Taylor but you can call me Ty" I said with a smile " but I have to go back to work nice talking to you" I said with a smile then I turned away " wait your going to be at the coffee shop today right? At 2?" I turned around and nodded my head getting the ingredients I need for the deserts I turned back around and saw he already left I was baking the deserts then I started to reflect on what I just found out.

He's rich? And he wants to see me or use me for my biscuits? I said thinking to myself then laughing
I was finished making the deserts then I placed them on the counter so the waiter can get them I checked my phone and saw that I still had 15 minutes until my shift was over so I went to the front and started cleaning the tables and fixing the chairs and getting ready to leave for my shift at the coffee shop, my alarm went off and I started saying bye to my coworkers and manager then I looked at the table where the vip customers were and noticed Manson I waved goodbye to him and he smiled waving back I then left the restaurant and started to walk my way to the coffee shop that was 10 minutes away from the restaurant.