Chapter 3

Y/n's pov

Just as you thought the day would not get any weirder, you were stuck in the school gym in the audience's area, watching the same red-haired guy dunk the ball to the basketball team leader's head. You watch the tall guy's face scrunch up, who you came to know as Haruko-chan's brother. You started to wonder whether the basketball team's manager really wanted you to draw a manga of this stupidity, which you were sure would be more of an embarrassing memory than a proud one for the third years to remember. Not to mention, such comedy was not the art style you were trying to pursue at least in the current moment. 

Just as you were about to tell Haruko that you will be leaving, you see Ayako-san motioning at you to come downstairs to sit on the bench with her. You point at yourself hoping that she does not mean you, but she nods happily as you look at your sides for Haruko and Matsui, motioning at you to come down. Sighing, you take your belongings, making your way downstairs to the bench. 

'Y/n-chan! What do you think of the basketball team? Not the best start, but at least Hanamichi made one dunk shoot.' Ayako senpai says, which you make out that the red-haired guy's name is Hanamichi. 

'Well...' you say awkwardly, feeling more than sure to refuse her request. 

'Douahou' you hear Rukawa say to Sakuragi, watching him loudly shout random things at Akagi-san as he makes his way towards the bench and takes his water bottle. You fight the urge to say you are not that different from Sakuragi but hold your mouth. 

'Why are you even here, L/n? You don't know anything about basketball like that idiot to join the club. ' Despite your grace of saving the salty comment you had for him, you wonder if Rukawa could hear your thoughts. You feel your mood go down even lower than it already was upon hearing his voice. 

'I am here because everyone wants me to draw a manga series for the Shohoku basketball club with my wonderful art skills that you are too dumb to understand, Rukawa. But apologies, Ayako-san, I don't think I can.' You say bluntly, his words finally pushing the last button you had been guarding with your drop of patience. 

'Sumimasen, Ayako-san.' you say, taking your things from the floor and leaving the gym in a sour mood, feeling Rukawa only watch you with his usual disinterested eyes as you walk towards the door.

'Rukawa! What was that?' you hear Ayako-san hiss at Rukawa, him saying nothing in reply. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day was not better than yesterday. 

Well, it was worse. 

The day started with you one, getting glared at by Rukawa's fans all the way to your class just because you talked with him in the gym yesterday (clearly they did not hear what you were saying because if they had, they wouldn't be jealous at all) and two, Haruko was essentially stuck to you asking about what you two were talking about and why you left so early the day before. 

'I thought you figured already. We are not on good terms. He asked me why I was even there when I have nothing to do with basketball and I said because I was requested to draw the club. But I refused-' 

'Y/n-chan!' Just as you try to finish your sentence, you hear Ayako-san's voice from the door you instinctively hide under your desk in the hopes that she would not notice you and just move away from trying to make you draw the manga for the club.

'What are you doing down there, baka.' You hear Rukawa's voice from above, him staring at you from the side of your desk watching you hold your breath under it. You frantically motion at him to be quiet, Ayako senpai looking around your classroom for you. Rukawa's eyes narrow at you cursing at him silently, proceeding to move away from your desk. Except before he can walk away, you grab his sleeve to keep him from moving. 

'She'll see me if you move.' you mouth at him, him sighing before taking your hand from his sleeve and walk over to his seat ignoring your silent words. 

'Y/n-chan! What are you doing down there?' Ayako senpai says as she comes over to your desk, finding you under the desk.

'Ohayo, Ayako-san. Just... picking something up from the ground.' you reply quickly, Haruko-chan next to you holding her laughter in her hand. 

'I understand if you are really not willing to do the manga series for the team, but... I have one last suggestion!' she says as you crawl back out to your seat. 'My apologies for asking for a big task without any incentive! I have talked to the people organising the graduation album and they are willing to pay you for the manga as an official commission. This would help with your career too right?' she says, her eyes shining hopefully once again. You wondered if you could tolerate seeing Rukawa almost every day, and even worse, having to deal with his fangirls screaming every practice or game you would have to attend for this one commission to earn some allowance. 

However much you hated the idea of having to deal with such drama on a daily basis, your brain wandered into thoughts of boosting your career from this odd opportunity. If you could draw Rukawa and the other team members, you were more than confident that his fangirls would die to get a copy of the manga series, and your current small fanbase for your art would expand with them. And, you will be paid while doing so. So, for the bigger picture, you would have to tolerate Rukawa and his little gang. Taking a deep breath, you reply, Ayako senpai looking at you with hopeful eyes waiting for your response. 

'Hai! I will. But only if you also give me permission to share it on my own social media account' You reply, Ayako senpai and Haruko squealing happily as she throws her arms around you. You try to pry them off of you, feeling other people's eyes staring at you three. 

'Y/n-chan is going to make manga about Rukawa-kun!' Haruko says excitedly, the other girls' heads popping up from their textbooks in your direction. You watch Rukawa glaring at you with disinterest from his desk, his arms under his chin ready to fall into a lazy sleep. 

'Not just about him, it's for the whole basketball team.' you say, Haruko not having heard your words as she sprints over to Matsui and Fujie to talk about what just happened as they enter the classroom. Rukawa only turns his head away, closing his eyes as you take the practice timetable from Ayako-san.