Chapter 5

Y/n's pov

'You are kidding me.' you say as you see the reflection of the three girls who always cheer for Rukawa in the girls' bathroom behind you while you load the water into the bucket to wash your paint brushes. You and the others had decided to spend your lunchtime in the art room, painting, and you were supposed to clean your brushes before painting. Sighing, you turn around to face them looking angry enough to fight you, leaning on the bathroom sink. 

'You! Why are you always following around Rukawa-kun!' the girl shouts, the other two eagerly nodding behind her which makes you immediately scoff in cringe.

'Are you introducing yourself?' you say, wondering why you deserve such treatment when you are just trying to get by. 

'Well stay away from him!' The other girl yells, as you stir the water with your brushes, the water turning yellow from the paint. 

'I'm trying my best, trust me.' you say, rubbing your forehead before pushing past them to make your way to the art room holding the water-filled bucket, sulking about Rukawa's fangirls not understanding how hard you are trying to stay away from him. It seemed like your effort to stay away from him was useless, as just as you step out of the bathroom, Rukawa walks out of nowhere, colliding into your water bucket in your arms. 

'Bakayaro!' you shout seeing him walk while half dozing off to sleep, your shirt drenched in paint water. Rukawa lazily opens his eyes, watching your head almost steaming with rage holding the empty bucket. 'Do you never watch where you are going?' you say, hauling the plastic bucket at him. 

'Rukawa-kun!' the three girls yell as they run out of the bathroom, as always obsessing over him as you stand drenched in the paint water. You watch him sigh, opening his duffle bag and taking out a black t-shirt and the basketball team jacket. He shoves them into your hands, zipping his bag back up while his cheerleaders watch you with their mouths agape.  

'Wow.' you say sarcastically, picking up your bucket rolling on the ground, and making your way back into the bathroom. You wouldn't have accepted anything from him if you could help it but your uniform shirt was simply too dirty and wet from the incident that you decided that it would be worse to walk around in it than to wear his clothes. 

Once you are inside the cubicle in the bathroom, you pick up his t-shirt with your fingertips, wondering if he was trolling you by giving you an equally dirty shirt drenched in his sweat. You hesitantly put your nose near the fabric, sniffing with your eyes shut as if that would fend off the stench that might waft into your nostrils. 

Thankfully, it only smelled like laundry detergent. 

Sighing quietly in relief, you change into the dry clothes, them fitting loosely on you with the jacket's sleeves drooping over your hands as you turn the doorknob of the cubicle. 

The freaking giant also has long arms.

You think to yourself, secretly cursing Rukawa for staining your uniform shirt. You wondered if the yellow acrylic paint would fade off simply just by washing it in your laundry machine at home. Surely your parents would not be amused that you will need to buy a third shirt - one ruined from the paint, and the other currently shoved at the back of your closet being the only one left as a backup. You peer your head out of the bathroom, checking that nobody in the corridor would be running at you this time, only to find Rukawa still standing by the bathroom. He extends his hand towards you silently without taking his eyes off of his phone screen, and you blankly watch his palm. You wonder what he is demanding of you, so you just place the empty paint bucket onto it.

'I don't want your water bucket, douahou.' he says as he looks up to see the huge bucket on his palm.

'Well then speak. What do you want.' you say, ready to fill the bucket only to pour the cold water over him. 

'Your shirt. It's stained.' he replies blandly, as you shift your gaze over to the shirt in your hand fighting the urge to roll your eyes. So he now wants to do the laundry for you?

'You'll talk shit about me if I don't fix it for you. So give it to me.' he says, giving the bucket back to your hand and taking your stained shirt. 

'Of course that's why you offer anyone anything.' you say at his back walking away, turning around yourself to get back to the art room. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second you open the door to the art room, you feel the various eyes on you, the attention that you do not appreciate. Ignoring the people whispering among themselves, you sit back down in your seat, Haruko next to you staring at you.

'Isn't that Rukawa-kun's clothes?' She asks quietly as you rest your chin on your palm, mixing the acrylic paint on the palette.

'He decided to sleep while walking and drench me in paint water.' you say dryly, moving on to colour the green leaves on your canvas.

'Oh.' Haruko says, watching your canvas filling with colours once again. 'You'll be watching the practice today as well, right?' she says, shifting her gaze back onto her own drawing.

'It is required of me. If I want to get paid, that is.' you reply, dreading showing up to the gym wearing Rukawa's clothes for all the cheerleaders to watch, waiting to tear you up into pieces. 

'Ne, when you return his clothes tomorrow, can I give it to him?' She suddenly asks that you stop moving your brush across the canvas, facing her properly. 

'Sure. Why?' you ask back, reaching out to change your brush out to a thinner one. 

'Um..' you glance at Haruko, her cheeks turning red as she avoids your eyes. 'Well if I actually have a valid reason to talk to him like returning his clothes maybe he'll pay more attention to me?' she says awkwardly, in which you turn back to your canvas to carry on painting the leaves.

'Fair. I want to stay away from him as much as possible anyway.' you say, blowing on the paint to dry it faster.