Chatper 7

Y/n's pov

'So he still doesn't know that you like him.' Matsui says disinterestedly at Haruko as you pick at your bento at lunchtime, looking out the window at the blazing sun, Rukawa dozing off under the tree at the same bench before getting hit in the face with a football. 

'I don't think so....' Haruko says sadly, following your gaze towards Rukawa in the school field. 'Ah! Y/n-chan! Maybe would it be okay for you to talk to Rukawa-kun to get something out of him?' she says suddenly, everyone's eyes turning to you including his army of fangirls' beaming glares.

'Get out what?' you ask, thrown out of your daydream as you feel Haruko watching you with hopeful eyes. 

'You know, ask him if he has anyone he likes?' she says shyly, his group of fangirls' eyes turning from livid to curious at the same time. 

'He's going to think I'm weird. Or worse, that I like him.' you reply, resting your head back on your chin and going back to chew your food. 

'Please?' She asks again, attaching herself to your arm and looking up at your grumpy expression imagining having to ask him about his love life. It didn't help that you were almost 100% confident that he had none. 

'I don't have to ask him to know he has none.' You say, Haruko instead gives you a larger puppy eye that you try your best to ignore, but you give in in the end when she said she would buy you a strawberry mochi ice cream on the way home if you manage to get an answer out of him. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That had led to you currently staring up at Rukawa from the bench inside the locker room as the players recharge themselves with water and lemon sugar after the first half of the practice match. You blankly watch Rukawa chug his energy drink almost as big as his face as you hold your iPad with the drawing tool opened on the page you were working on last night.

'I have a question.' you finally say, Rukawa's eyes shifting over to you for a second before he goes back to leaning on the locker to sleep. 

'My friend wants to know if you like anyone.' You almost feel like crying when the room goes silent, the others watching you just as you speak. 'What? She told me to ask you for strawberry mochi so can you answer?' you say, already feeling tired of the things you do for free food. 

'Why do I need to help you when I don't get anything.' Rukawa replies without even bothering to open his eyes which immediately makes you groan in frustration as Sakuragi starts to shout loudly that Rukawa the fox must not be in love with Haruko-chan. Looking up, you see Ayako-san hitting them in full force with her paper fan, Rukawa opening his eyes from the wind blown from her movement. 

'Well, will you if I promise to share it with you?' you suggest, mentally hitting yourself for overspending your allowance for the week to not even afford stupid ice cream.

'I don't like anyone.' he says simply, shifting on his spot before crossing his arms and closing his eyes back. 

'I never needed to ask then.' you say sarcastically, taking your phone out to text Haruko his obvious answer however disappointed she might be. 

'At least I'm not someone to go around talking to people just for free food.' he mutters quietly, loud enough for you and Sakuragi to hear. 

Sakuragi immediately starts shouting at Rukawa.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Sooo Y/n-chan! Are you going to stay here?' Haruko asks as she pays for two packs of strawberry and one pack of vanilla mochi ice cream at the convenience store after the practice, the sun setting in the sky painting the horizon orange. You watch the gold light reflect on the clear package of the mochi, wondering how you end up with eating food with Rukawa of all people.

'Hmm?' you hum as you blankly take one of the packages from Haruko. 

'Well, I thought maybe I could have a chance with Rukawa-kun. We are almost never by ourselves at school, you know.' she whispers into your ear, Rukawa currently being only focused on his share of the food as you all sit down at the small table just outside of the convenience store. 

'Oh. Sure. Thanks for the food though. Have a good evening.' you say, almost feeling grateful for the opportunity to escape you stand back up and put your package into your bag.

'Thanks, Y/n-chan.' Haruko half whispers again, looking at you as if you had just saved her life. 

'Where are you going?' You hear Rukawa's voice as you turn to head home, his usual disinterested eyes watching you as you look at his empty plastic package.

'Home. Where else would I go.' you say, starting to get worried about your ice cream melting before you get home because of Rukawa holding you up.

'You promised to share it with me. You can't go now.' he says simply, his blank expression still looking straight at you. You frown, wondering if he had been hit in the head too hard by Sakuragi that he doesn't remember he had devoured the three ice cream mochi balls just now.  

'Oh, there is no way I'm giving you mine.' you reply, holding onto your bag somewhat defensively as Rukawa's eyes shift over to Haruko.

'She told me she would share.' he says to Haruko, her face turning red as she looks touched at the fact that Rukawa had spoken to her for the first time.

'Stay.' 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You stare at Rukawa silently chewing at "your" second mochi as you finish your first one, looking like Haruko's voice was going through his one ear and coming straight out of his other one. 

'Are you even listening?' you ask simply out of irritation, Rukawa looking up at you with his usual blank face for a few seconds before going back to his food.

'He's not listening.' you whisper mockingly at Haruko, her smiling awkwardly with her red cheeks.