Chapter 24

Y/n's pov

You tap your apple pencil on the corner of your iPad nervously as you see Sakuragi catch the ball, Ayako senpai next to you shouting at him to pass it to Rukawa. Sakuragi only scrunches his eyebrows together as he sees Rukawa running beside him, shouting how much he hates the "fox".

'I'm not passing to you! Where are you Ryochin!' He shouts as he looks for Miyagi, his face turning irritated as he sees Sakuragi passing towards him. 

'Of course he does that.' you say under your breath, adding more lines to the note-like sketch on your screen. Just as you focus your attention back on the rough sketches, you hear the familiar group of girls' screams from the seats above, them chanting Rukawa's name as loudly as possible. Looking up, you see Rukawa throw the ball into the ring, Shoyo's players staring up at him with confused expressions. 

'Flaunting again are we.' you say, adding small fox ears to the sketch, your lips tugging upwards as you look at the work. Rukawa glances towards you, frowning slightly before his eyes arch slightly as you show him your screen zoomed into his face with fox ears saying "well done you show-off". 

'Rukawa! You selfish fox! I was not passing it to you, how dare you-' you hear Sakuragi shout at Rukawa standing below the ring, wiping his forehead. 

'Douahou.' he replies, Sakuragi being stopped by Akagi senpai and the referee blowing the whistle. You only raise your eyebrows looking down at your screen, pulling up your drawing glove as you feel the iPad heating up. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Well that was close.' you say as Shohoku's players gather back towards the bench, standing up from your seat and putting your iPad into your bag. 

'Yes! But it's fine! We won thanks to me, the basketball genius!!!' Sakuragi says, laughing loudly next to you that you rub your ears before picking your bag up. 

'It wasn't because of you, baaaka.' Miyagi replies, Sakuragi immediately gets stuck with an argument with him arguing whether they won because of Sakuragi or Rukawa. 

'Let's go. I know you are dying to see Momo.' you say as you turn towards Rukawa sipping his energy drink, tapping his duffle bag on his shoulder. 

'You have to change my name. On your phone. Shohoku won.' he says back, glancing at the phone in your hand. 

'Fine. Why do you hate "Squid" so much?' you say, unlocking your screen and handing it to him. 

'Because they are ugly.' he says, you brushing your fingers where Rukawa's touched as he took your phone. 

'So you're saying you're not like squids?' you say back, seeing the opportunity to tease him again. He only gives you a moody look before he turns to your phone typing something. 'You better not be texting some people pretending to be me.' you add quickly, standing on your toes to peek at the screen. 

'Why would I pretend to be you to talk to people? There you go.' he replies as he gives your phone back, the screen showing his number with a new label.

Kaede 💕

You laugh seeing the name that he wanted to put in your phone so badly as he starts walking past you following the others out of the stadium. Looking up, you see his ears slowly turning pink as you chase up at him. 

'What's that pink heart for?' you whisper at his back, him turning his head to look down at you behind him holding up your phone. 'It's not fair because I saw you didn't put anything next to my name.' you whine, pulling his arm, mainly just to see his funny reaction. Maybe you were slowly understanding why everyone on the team liked to tease him even though his reactions weren't explosive like Sakuragi. 

'I already changed it.' he says with a straight face, showing his phone screen with the matching heart emoji next to your name. You stare at it for a few seconds before he takes it away from your view, pulling you along by your sleeve as the team walks towards the train station again. 

'Ohh so you wanted our names to match!' you say, inching your hand into his pocket along with his. 'I didn't think you knew how to be cute!' you yell a bit too loudly, a few of them turning to face you both before carrying on walking although you could tell that their ears were perking up to hear Rukawa's reaction. 

'So you think I'm cute?' he says, earning a dry cough from Yasuda senpai and an "uh" from Kogure senpai in front of you as you stop to stare at Rukawa. 

'Squids are cuter.' you say bluntly, quickly walking past him into the train station with Ayako senpai. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Haruko

> Haruko: where are you?

> Haruko: the train is so full we can't see u ;-;

> You: I'm literally squeezed in the corner 💀

> You: I'll find you when we get off

> Haruko: okay 

> Haruko: are you free this afternoon?

> Haruko: we decided to get dinner from the ramen place

.....

You bite your nails unconsciously, looking at Rukawa in front of you standing firmly against Sakuragi and Miyagi pushing each other around with every movement the train makes. 

> Haruko: Y/n?

> You: oh right

> You: uh Rukawa wanted to see my rabbit today

'Why do you still call me Rukawa? I call you by your first name, it's not fair.' you look up at "Rukawa" in front of you briefly before staring back at your screen. 

> You: *Kaede 

> You: as he insists 

> You: so we are going to our house

> Haruko: wait you have a rabbit?

> You: yeaa

> Haruko: how did i not know this :O

> You: well u do now :)

> Haruko: okay well have fun 🥹

'Ooo well that's awkward.' you look up next to you to the voice, Mitsui senpai peeking over your shoulder as he bites off the top of his protein bar. Rukawa shifts his attention towards him, both of you staring at Mitsui senpai munching on his food. 

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I felt awkward writing this...