Chapter 21: Stylish infiltration

I'm back with another chapter to continue this cute little story. When we last saw Zim and Dib, it seemed that the human one had managed to figure out a new plan to infiltrate the building. And I'm happy to reveal that said plan involves a nice little call back from a few chapters back. Maybe you know what I'm referring to *wink*. Enjoy!

A high-rise building stood tall over all the buildings surrounding it. Its surface was mostly covered in plain dark glass that reflected the many colored lights from below and surrounding it. Its frame was a gold-looking metal that gave it an almost art-deco style. It was very clear for all to see that it was a place of prestige. This was exactly why it had been chosen for the annual Technological Investors Exhibition, where rich investors could get a look at the most advanced technology available and decide to invest in it. As the main event didn't include any celebrities or anything that the public would be interested in, the whole thing was most known to those who were rich enough to be included.

But that didn't mean it stopped the media from trying to get a few exclusive pictures and comments from the attendees before they entered.

Outside the entrance at the bottom of the building, a steady stream of expensive cars and limousines driven by chauffeurs stopped and dropped off investors or famous scientists one after another. It was a large body of paparazzi that greeted them as they walked along a red carpet and into the building. A constant mirage of flashes could be seen nearly a mile away. It was only an hour after the event had officially started and a small line of those who didn't have the pleasure of coming earlier stood and waited to enter, that the attention of the cameras had died down. Just as Dib had expected.

A single greeter stood with a clipboard to quickly check if the person was on the list to enter. His job had been made significantly easier by the number of rehearsals he had done beforehand, which meant he knew practically every attendee by first name, last name, and the name of their pet. He prided himself on doing such a good job, and not having to stop a single person to check them. Which meant that he was most bewildered when the last pair in the line finally managed to reach him. For the life of him, he couldn't recognize the young man with the black and eccentric hair who stood in front of him practically sweating bullets. Not to speak of his partner, who was quite frankly the ugliest woman he had ever seen. Which perhaps was related to the fact that he had never before seen someone with green skin and no nose.

The greeter glanced at his clipboard and then at the pair, trying his best to pin a name to their faces. When that failed he just looked at them and asked with a shocked expression:

"Uhm...Can you give me your names?"

"Oh, right of course haha...I'm Dib." He answered in a sheepish tone that sounded almost pitiful while giving the greeter an awkward, teeth-filled smile. He also pulled at the collar of his suit, which he had managed to find in the furthest reaches of his closet. Dib wasn't entirely sure why he was so nervous. He wondered if it had something to do with him never before having attended something so prestigious. Or maybe it was the fact that he had locked arms with Zim. And thanks to the alien's choice of clothes, they also had to act like they were a couple. Dib concluded that it was probably that.

"AND I'M ZIM-ARGH!" Zim was quickly cut off by Dib who while still smiling, pushed his elbow into Zim's side.

"I-I mean I'm Zim..ariela?"

The greeter looked at them for a few moments before half-heartily looking over his clipboard for one last time. In the end, he predicted the result and let out a tired sigh.

"Well, I'm sorry to say, but your names are not on the list. Now would you be so kind as to go away before I call security to-"

"WAIT!" Dib exclaimed, earning a slightly scared look from the greeter.