Chapter 23: Not very subtle escape

Big surprise, something went wrong and now they're in trouble. I wonder how they will get out of it.

"DIB-WORM, WHAT DID YOU DO?!" Zim yelled judgingly at Dib, who could only look at him in shock and anger.

"ME?! WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE MY FAULT?! YOU'RE PROBABLY THE REASON THIS CLOWN DISCOVERED US!"

"*GASP*...YOU...DARE ACCUSE ME THE mighty ZIM!" The invader answered back, getting right up to Dib's face, who only welcomed the challenge. As the two would-be burglars literally butted heads, a secret camera recorded them and sent the image up into the building, eventually reaching the security office. Where Watchman and his assistant Michael looked with perplexed expressions.

"...See, what did I tell you, they're stupid." Watchman declared satisfied.

"I...I wasn't expecting it to be so literal." Michael replied, still shocked at how two young adults somehow managed to infiltrate such a glamorous event.

"You never do." His boss replied as if it was wisdom passed down from many years of experience.

"Now, let's see if we can get them to surrender peacefully. God, I hope they don't."

Watchman tapped on the mic, the sound echoing in the great hall. The room was still enveloped in the red lights which blinked periodically, as the voice from hidden speakers returned. But Zim and Dib were too busy slapping each other and yelling curses to notice.

"AHEM!" He said loudly into the microphone, managing to finally again get their attention.

"As you two might have noticed, you have been found out. Clever trick, cutting off the power. I haven't ever seen such masterful hacking in all my years of security.

"Of course you haven't," Zim said, sounding like the compliment was still somehow an insult. "My abilities when it comes to computers far outpace any primitive 'security programs' you primate worms may have created."

"You sure?" Dib asked, not fully convinced.

"DIDN'T ZIM TELL YOU TO SHUT YOUR MOUTH HOLE!"

"But still, admiration will only get you so far. I don't know how you planned to get out of this mess but trust me when I say it is quite futile."

"Sir, not to interrupt, but isn't this a little childish," Michael commented quietly.

"Mikey, this is the MOST fun part of the job! Don't ruin it for me! Ahem, as I was saying, you-...wait. What's wrong with you? You're all green and...my god... you're-" The security overseer started saying, with fear and hope blossoming on Zims and Dib's faces, separately.

"Wait, is it finally gonna happen? Will someone finally realize that you're-"

"-a kid with a rare skin disease! God, you look ugly. You should really get that checked."

"Oh god dammit," Dib exclaimed, with an age-old disappointment in his voice.

Out of character, Zim slowly patted the human on the back as if he were a poor animal.

"There there, my poor, horrible human. Maybe someday, someone will be as 'less stupid' as you. At which point I will destroy them and any traces of their worthless existence, but still." He said with his voice in a soft tone that only felt more humiliating for Dib.

"Wow, thanks, I feel so much better."

"Now, you have two options." Explained Watchman, his voice dripping with anticipation for which they would choose. "You can either decide to give yourself up, maybe bind a rope around yourselves, and sit and wait for my men to come and get you. Personally, I think that's the boring option and very unsportsmanlike. Therefore, I would prefer you pick the other option, which is to try and escape. But to be fair to both of you (and because it technically is required by law), I have to warn you that the chances of you dying a horrible and inhuman death are much higher than your chance of escape. So...which will it be?"