Chapter 24: A quick celebration

The final part, where we get to see the daring escape attempt by our two idiots!

"Any last words?" The man asked, with several figures by his side. As they stepped closer, it became clear from their gear and outfits they were some kind of special forces. Their heads were muddied by a black helmet and their eyes were covered by what looked to be night goggles.

They carried with them black rifles with laser sights. Which all were aimed solely at the two intruders, who were starting to regret storming ahead without checking first. But as the snipers closed in, it was becoming apparent they had to figure out something fast.

"Well, Zim, I already came up with something that saved us, so this would be a perfect time for you to repay the favor," Dib said in a low voice, so only Zim could hear it.

"ME?! You still owe Zim from all the other times I saved your puny flesh." The alien answered back.

"Zim, I would really appreciate it if we had this argument later. As in, not here!" The human stated with annoyance. But beyond that, Zim managed to sense the slightest hint of concern in Dib's voice. As he looked at him, the concern only seemed more visible. In the end, it was enough to make Zim forget his pride for a moment. Even though he would have liked it if the human had just asked for help. Then he could have held it over him and mocked him for it the next few weeks.

In the end, Zim let out a sigh and rolled his eyes.

"Fine!" He said, which helped calm Dib's nerves a little bit.

"Ugh, you two? Last words? Come one!" The leader uttered impatiently, before showing them an audio recorder.

"You two might not care, but it's written in our contract that we provide the last words of our victims, and I would rather not have to replicate the sound of you gurgling on your own blood, and then it would be a whole thing with management and our legal team, so please just say something!" He said, pointing the recorder at them, waiting for them to speak.

Dib stared with disbelief at the man but managed to recognize an opportunity that had presented itself.

"Um, yeah, sure, but...can we think it over? I would rather it not be something stupid, you know, like, 'Please don't kill me!', or, 'Tell my dad I love him!'."

"...FINE!" The leader relented. "But you better make it good! If you throw an apology in there somewhere, we might get a bonus."

"Yeah!" Exclaimed one of the soldiers with excitement, though the judgy stares from his colleagues quickly made him turn down the enthusiasm.

"Alright, I bought us a bit of time. Come up with anything yet?" Whispered Dib to Zim, and though he didn't want to pressure the alien, he wasn't sure how long he could keep arguing for their continued existence.

"We could always exterminate-"

"I would REALLY appreciate it if we didn't need to kill people, I thought I had already made that clear!" He replied to Zim, who could only make a sound of annoyance in return.

"Why do you always make things so hard for Zim!" The alien exclaimed, though he quickly let it go and tried to come up with something else.

But as he did, the patience of the soldiers started to run thin.

"Are you two DONE already?! We don't have all night you know." Said the leader, putting some pressure on the two.

"Just a moment, almost got it!" Dib reassured them, though the panic in his voice was clear to hear.

"Would it hurt to hurry a bit, Zim!"

"SSH! I'm concentrating!"

Just then, the sound of a ringing phone could be heard. The soldiers looked around at each other before their eyes fell on one unfortunate fellow.