Chapter 14: Who am I?

Y/n POV:

With laughter echoing through the neighborhood, you sprinted alongside Finney, stumbling as your shoelace betrayed you. "Where are we even going?!" he shouted, his sentence punctuated by a voice crack. Bursting onto the path, you slowed your pace, catching your breath. "I want to discover who I am, then we can have some fun," you declared, a mischievous smile tugging at your lips. Finney grinned in response, his eyes reflecting the excitement of the unknown. "What kind of fun are we talking about?" he questioned playfully.

"Well, we can't exactly go back to school, can we?" you quipped, raising an eyebrow. "Alright then, fuck it, let's become detectives, I guess," he suggested with a shrug. In that moment, you felt a strange connection, getting lost in the depths of his eyes. It dawned on you that you were growing comfortable and carefree in his presence, a realization that both thrilled and terrified you. "Okay, so how about we start by going to the police station? I mean, that's where people usually go in situations like this, right?" you proposed, seeking confirmation. As Finney nodded in agreement, his smile lighting up the path ahead, you embarked together towards the town.

(A/n: sorry if this bit is kinda unrealistic, I don't really know what happens with police and whatever, especially in those days, if u have any suggestions.... help?)

Soon, you and Finn arrived at the police station, standing side by side before mustering the courage to step inside. A brief moment of hesitation hung in the air before you finally entered. "Hello, how may I assist you?" the woman behind the front desk looked at both of you, her eyes widening as she recognized Finn. "Um, hello," you began, your voice tinged with nervousness. "My name is Y/n l/n. I'm 15 years old and went missing in 1968 when I was, I think, three. I've come here to report myself as found." The woman froze, caught off guard by your revelation. "Oh, sweetie, where are your parents?" she inquired, concern etched on her face.

Scrunching your face, you replied, "I'm... well, we're here to find them..." As the woman entered your information into the computer, detectives led you and Finn to separate desks. The detective at your desk began asking you questions, and you poured out the details of your life, recounting the loss of your memories due to the kidnapping. You shared stories about Finney, Jimmy, the unsettling encounters with the hospital lady, and your discoveries through the newspapers.

"Oh my lord, you poor thing. How did we miss you?" The detective expressed sympathy as he conversed with you for hours, digging deeper to find any possible leads to contact your parents. When he asked why you weren't in school, you explained that you had permission from your parents to come to the police station. Meanwhile, you could hear Finn at the nearby table, sharing his experiences with the grabber and offering any additional information they might need, though they already seemed to have extensive knowledge about him.

The detective's gaze darkened as he stopped typing, his expression filled with pity. "Oh... I'm afraid I have some bad news," he began, his voice heavy with sorrow. Your heart sank, and a dryness gripped your throat. "I... I'm afraid that your father is..." The officer sighed, meeting your eyes with a somber look as he lowered his voice to a whisper. "I'm afraid that your father passed away last..." Tears welled up in your eyes, and a lump formed in your throat, choking your words. "What? No, how?!" The desperation in your voice was palpable as the officer continued to scroll through the information.

In a gentle tone, the detective spoke again, trying to offer comfort. "He lost a battle with depression and took his own life... Philip L/n was his name." You looked down, desperately trying to hold back the flood of tears threatening to engulf you. "It's okay to cry," the detective interjected, his voice filled with understanding. Interrupting him, you made a request. "May I please see a photo of him?" The detective nodded in response. "Of course." He turned his laptop towards you, revealing a black and white photograph. There he was, a man in his late 30s, with a dark shaggy beard, curly mid-length hair, and expressive eyebrows. "That's... that's the man I saw last night! He can't be dead!" You pleaded with the detective, hoping for some reassurance. However, the detective's sorrowful gaze only confirmed the tragic truth. "His body was found last night by a civilian. He died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound... I'm so sorry."

You gazed at him, the flicker of hope extinguishing within you. "But I saw him... I talked to him last night..." The detective attempted to offer words of comfort, but you blocked out his voice, your attention shifting to the office around you. Finney, with smudged eyeliner accentuating his concerned expression, sent you a sympathetic glare, prompting a tear to slip down your cheek as you silently began to cry. You noticed Finney attempting to rise from his seat, only for the detective to advise him against it.

"Wh-what about my mom? Is she okay?" The detective swiftly clicked on the keyboard, scrolling through various records before redirecting his gaze to you. "Well, she's alive, but she's currently serving around 14 years for drug selling and use..." Your eyes sparked with a glimmer of hope, momentarily ignoring the pang of disappointment in your chest. "Can... can I see her?"

The detective continued, mulling over the situation. "Well, if I can arrange for someone to vouch that you've been found, we might be able to set up a visit. But I can't guarantee if your mom will be able to keep custody afterwards; there could be concerns about her parenting." A surge of hope propelled you off your seat, as you hastily wiped away the tears. "Could you please write down the name of the prison she's in?" The detective, taken aback but obliging, quickly scribbled down the information as you made your exit. "Thank you, officer. Have a great day!" you called over your shoulder, leaving the puzzled detective in your wake.

You raced through the town, navigating your way to the arcade where you found solace on the brick wall nearby. Finn joined you, settling beside you. "So, what's the plan now?" he asked, curiosity in his voice. "I think I'll ask Jimmy to drive me to my mom's prison this weekend, but for now, I just want to forget about everything, you know?" You toyed with the note in your hand, contemplating the possibilities as Finny leaned closer.

"You know, you don't always gotta act so tough, its alright to be sad about your dad Y/n."

Those words shattered the walls you had erected around yourself, instantly burdening your chest with an overwhelming weight. "Hey, look, I'm sorry, I was just-" he began, but you swiftly cut him off. "No, it's fine. It's just... you're right. I don't want to come off as a crybaby or something," you admitted, burying your face in your hands as Finney reached out to touch your shoulder. "You're not a crybaby. Hell, if I had been through what you have, I'd be bawling my eyes out. You're tough, dealing with all this shit so calmly," he reassured you, his kind words breaking through your defenses and making you forget the tears that had fallen. Your body tingled, urging you to halt the crying. "I don't want to put pressure on you. It's just that you're the only person who truly understands. You were there with me, and I... I'm sorry I didn't believe you."

Finney withdrew his hand from your shoulder, chuckling softly. "Honestly, I probably wouldn't have believed myself either, haha." A smile graced your lips as you folded up the note, tucking it into your pocket. You noticed the awkward silence between you two, as you glared into each others eyes for a moment, but you decided to brush it off "lets go." you said jumping off the brick wall, leaving Finney to chase after you. 

---

(1413 Words) 

I hope u liked this chapter, just so yk I wanna do some spicy scenes with them but since they're still minors nothing crazy yk? keep that stuff in ur imagination, this story is mostly for the storyline.

-L