TWENTY-THREE

Slow steady beeps pull you from your medicated slumber making you groan as your eyes are forced to open to the sight of unnecessarily bright lights. You try to bring your hand up to rub the blurriness from your eyes only to find it weighed down.

Confused, you slightly tilt your head to the right, squinting your eyes in attempts to make your vision less fucked. It takes a few moments but eventually you're able to make out the sight of Chris sitting next to you, the upper half of his body laying on your bed as he sleeps with your hand tightly grasped in his own. You're even more confused now, wondering why the hell he's in your room in the first place.

As you try to sit up, there's a tugging tightness in your abdomen along with searing pain. Choking out a gasp, you fall back onto the bed, your free hand moving to touch where you felt the pain. You can faintly feel bandages underneath the gown you're wearing and it's then that everything comes flooding back to you- the nightmare, Freddy, the blood as he attacked you.

The heart monitor begins to beep a bit more rapidly as your mind starts racing. The entire thing was just a nightmare and yet here you are with very real injuries. Not only is your stomach horribly injured, but your shoulder throbs painfully as well. It's likely that you had dislocated it and that they had to pop it back into place.

Feeling your sudden movement, Chris begins to stir awake. He grumbles a few incoherent words as he sits up while rubbing the sleep from his eyes. It takes a moment for him to gather his senses, his eyes landing on you as he lazily blinks until he realizes what he's looking at.

"Oh thank god!" His body practically slumps in relief upon seeing you awake. "I was so scared that you were going to pass away. I stayed here all night just so I could get you help right away if your condition worsened."

"Chris? What happened?" Your words come out slightly slurred and jumbled from just waking up paired with being on medication.

He sighs, shaking his head. "I have no idea. I was patrolling when I heard screaming coming from your room. I had to run and get Wanda to open your door, and we found you covered in blood. There was nobody else in the room with you so we thought they might've left after I did but the security cameras didn't show anyone entering or leaving your room at any point of the night."

You slowly take in the information, pondering over each part. If the injuries really were caused by your nightmare then it makes perfect sense that there'd be nothing on the cameras. There's only really one thing that doesn't make sense. "Why were you patrolling when you switched to day shift?"

"My buddy Felix- a night shift guard- called and asked me to take his shift because his wife went into labor. He wanted to be there for the birth of their first child. Of course, I said yes to taking his shift despite having just worked my own but it's whatever. At least I got to get a little bit of rest even if it was at your bedside." He softly chuckles as he rubs the back of his neck sheepishly.

"Oh." You pause, unsure of what to say. At first you were a bit concerned about why he would've been outside of your room at that hour but now it makes sense. "Well, I'm glad you were there to help me. Things probably would've ended up a lot worse if you hadn't of gotten there when you did."

"I'm glad I was lucky enough to be passing at just the right time." He gives you a gentle smile, genuinely looking happy that you seem alright now.

The two of you are interrupted by someone knocking at the door. You both exchange looks before Chris gets up to answer it. Opening the door reveals Wanda who gives Chris a quick greeting before swiftly moving past him to approach you. She smiles politely though it seems a bit tight.

"Hello, Ms. (L/N). I'm sure you're wondering why I'm here." You hesitate before nodding slowly. "I'm afraid that some issues have come up this morning regarding your patients."

"Are they okay?" You almost sit up in a panic but manage to keep yourself still to avoid more pain.

"They're perfectly fine. The problem is that you're not fine." She motions towards your bedridden form. "They're all greatly worried about you and are refusing to leave their rooms until they see for themselves that you're alright."

You calm slightly upon hearing that it's nothing too serious. "Can I see them?"

"Are you sure you're able to? We cannot bring them here due to safety reasons so you'd have to travel to their ward in order to see them. I wouldn't want you to strain yourself too much especially since you were attacked only a few hours ago."

"I'll be fine." You wave off the concern, already attempting to sit up despite the restrictions of the bandages and the pings of pain. Chris notices your efforts and swiftly moves forward to gently help you sit up and swing your legs over the side of the bed. Once he's certain you can sit on your own for a few minutes, he leaves the room to go grab a wheelchair.

"The second things get overwhelming let us know so we can bring you back, okay?"

Once you give Wanda a nod, Chris carefully lifts you to place you into the wheelchair. He places a small blanket across your lap as well to keep your bare legs from getting cold since the corridors are usually kept pretty cool. When you're finally situated Chris begins to push you out of the room with Wanda leading the way to your worried boys.

~~~~~~~
What's this? An upload a week early? Damn. That's crazy.

Anyways, I figured I'd take this moment to plug my other accounts for those who may be interested. For the main account a lot of stories were written when I first started out so they might be a tiny bit bad but they're still pretty popular for some reason.

My main account where I publish mostly Marvel fanfictions or actual stories is The_Undying_Avenger

My anime account specifically for all of my anime fics is AnimeMaster44