THIRTY-TWO

"You're all cleared to return to work." The doctor informs you as he steps away to pull of his gloves. He had just returned from his other job and instantly came to check on you before deciding that you healed enough to return to work. 

Smiling brightly, you thank him before eagerly gathering your things to return to your room before going to visit your boys. As you step out into the hallway, you're met with Jackson leaning against the opposite wall, a playful glare on his face.

"I hope you weren't planning on running off without saying anything." He teases, pushing off the wall as he comes to stand right in front of you. 

"Of course not!" You wrap one arm around his waist, pulling him into a hug. "Besides, it's not like we'll never see each other again! I'm still going to be around the building and it's not like we can't visit each other."

He groans, rolling his eyes as he hugs you back. "You're right but it's so much easier when I can just come bother you here for hours at a time under the excuse that I'm simply doing my job."

"You're a dork." You shake your head as you pull away from the hug. "Besides, I was going crazy being stuck in that room. Before you knew it, I would've been the next patient being admitted into this place."

"And I would've gladly swapped jobs just to be the one to take care of you." He pokes your nose which makes you scrunch it up.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever you say. Can I return to work now?" You whine, giving him a pouty face. As much as you love spending time with him, you've seen him every day for months and right now you want nothing more than to see your boys.

Groaning, he waves you off, telling you that you better not forget about him once you reunite with everyone else. You simply laugh before rushing off to your room in order to drop of all of your things and to shower and change so you look presentable. 

The last thing you want is for their first time seeing you in a while to be when you're looking like a hot mess. It's bad enough that Hannibal's last time seeing you was while you were bleeding out with your organs showing.

As you approach your room, you spot Wanda standing outside, patiently waiting for you. You immediately straighten up, wanting to look at least a little professional in front of your boss. It wouldn't be very good if she saw you running through the halls excitedly.

"Miss (L/N)." She greets as you reach her. "I'm glad to see you back on your feet. You had all of us scared there for a while."

"I'm really sorry about that, ma'am." You give her an apologetic smile, feeling bad for missing so much work even if it wasn't your fault. You also feel bad making others take your shifts instead since you know nobody likes the high risk ward due to how dangerous it can be. Hopefully your boys didn't cause any problems for anyone.

"No need to apologize, Miss (L/N). I'm sure your patients are going to happy about your return so I won't keep you much longer. Take it easy for a few days if you need to."

You thank her before watching her walk off. It was a bit strange having her visit you since you've barely interacted with her since starting your job. Granted, she is your boss and it's essentially her job to check on her employees but it didn't really seem like she actually cared. It felt more like she was checking something for herself rather than checking on your wellbeing. 

Pushing the thoughts away, you unlock your room and enter it. The tiny smile on your face falters when you see that the flowers Bubba had picked for you wilted while you were away. You didn't even get the chance to press and frame them. You'll have to apologize to him for that and ask him for some more.

Thankfully everything else seems to be in good condition. Jackson was likely the only person to come into your room while you were in the hospital wing, and it seems like he only touched the things you asked him to. It's nice to know that he's not the type of person to snoop through your belongings. 

Maybe you should've asked him to take care of the flowers for you too but you already had him checking on your boys for you after that second time you almost died. You would've felt bad asking him to do even more when technically he didn't have to do anything for you in the first place except the things that pertain to his job.

You'll have to do something to properly thank him when you get some free time. Maybe see if he wants to go into town to get some food or drinks. Of course, you'd have to tell the boys that you'll be gone during dinner on whatever day that ends up being. Danny and Brahms will be the most disappointed since they've been the ones to sit with you ever since day one.

God, you missed eating with them. You missed being with them in general. You missed doing their favorite activities with them, spending time outside with them. You're so happy to finally be able to return to them. The past few weeks have been hell. 

It likely felt the same for them too.

~~~~~~~~~

For my fellow anime fans, I have posted a new Demon Slayer fanfiction on my anime account 

 It is a female reader insert story called Luminous. I would really appreciate if those of you that like Demon Slayer took the time to check it out!