TWENTY-SIX

The temptation was too much.

You wound up asking the nurse taking care of you to grab a few things from your room for you including the files. He was more than willing to help out as it gave him a reason to leave the medical ward to do something else and he soon returned with everything you asked for- one of your empty notebooks, the files, and a few books to pass time with.

"So, what exactly did you want all this stuff for?" Jackson, your nurse, questions as he sits down in the chair next to you, propping his feet up on your bed. "Obviously I know what the books are for but what about the other stuff? Doing some detective work?"

You snort as you shake your head. "The notebook is basically just a journal to write about my days in. My other one is almost full already so I needed a new one since I'll be in here a while. The files, on the other hand, are my patients files that I neglected to fully read when I first started here due to silly reasons. I figured I might as well take my newfound excessive amount of free time to read through all of the stuff I skipped."

"Aren't you the nurse for the high risk ward?" Jackson raises a brow, only continuing once you nod. "Why the hell didn't you read them before? You literally work with the most dangerous people in the entire building. Shouldn't you have figured out what exactly you're getting into before you actually met them?"

"To be fair, Wanda took me to meet them pretty much right away so there wasn't any time to read them beforehand."

"And in the month that you've been here you didn't bother reading it?" You sheepishly look away as you mumble that you forgot about it until recently. This only makes him scoff in disbelief with a roll of his eyes. "Well go on then. Read to the class."

You hesitate only slightly before pulling out the first file, deciding to go in the order in which you met them meaning that Jason is first. You stare down at the manila folder in your hands for a second, mentally preparing yourself for what you're about to read.

Jason is one of your sweetest patients so it'll definitely be a bit jarring to fully understand the crimes he committed to get sent to the Sanitarium and put in the high risk ward. Of course, you already know the basics from news stories but they always leave out a lot of details. They can't exactly show the bodies on national television as well.

Opening it, you flip straight past the first few pages containing his basic information. Landing on the very first page detailing his crimes you take a shaky breath before addressing Jackson. "Are you sure you want to hear this stuff?"

"Just read it!" He waves his hand with a chuckle knowing you're just stalling so you can hold off on reading it for a bit longer. You scrunch up your nose as you mockingly repeat his words. After he playfully hits your leg you comply to his demand and begin reading the first page out loud.

The report is filled with dates, victim names, and the gruesome details of how they were killed. Some deaths were certainly more brutal than others but the details of each makes it easy to picture everything. What's hard to picture is Jason actually doing the things being described. He's such a gentle giant to you that seeing him as anything else is damn near impossible.

By the time you finish the multitude of pages you're mentally scarred with images of deaths that you never even actually saw. You're just glad the reports didn't include pictures. You probably would've emptied your stomach of what little food it has in it if you saw someone's head smashed in. Even just thinking about it sends a chill down your spine.