Chapter 2 - A Rare Breed

------------------------
"Man is not what he thinks he is, he is what he hides." - Andre Malraux
------------------------

His train shortly arrived in Durham. Stepping off of the train, he headed toward the exit and onto the streets of Durham before stopping at a fruit stall and picking up a single lemon before asking for directions.

"Pardon me, but could I trouble you for directions to Goestbeck Manor?" William asked the stall owner.

"Goestbeck Manor? You wouldn't happen to be the maths teacher we heard was coming to the university, would you?" The stall owner replied.

"Well, yes. You knew about that?" William asked.

"You're out in the country now, lad. When an outsider comes to town, word spreads quickly. On top of which, you come from noble stock, but you still teach at the school. Quite the odd duck. Not hearing about you would have been more peculiar." The stall owner replied.

"Peculiar, you say?" William said before noticing someone staring at him.

Well, more like glaring at him. Before long, she noticed the expression she was making and turned away.

"You'll have to cut that one some slack. That girl, Michelle, hates aristocrats. After all, the Viscount here as good as let her son die." The stall owner said.

After that, William took his leave and headed for his Durham manor. When returning home, he was greeted at the door by Louis who was holding a pile of books.

"Ah, Brother! You sure took your time." Louis said.

"I was wandering the streets of the village, and found myself lost." William replied.

"That sounds like quite the ordeal. How about we have some tea? I'll go and get it ready." Louis said.

William then went into the living room while Louis went and made tea before returning and passing the cup and saucer to William.

"It feels as though I've finally come home." William replies as he relaxes into the single chair, enjoying the tea.

""Come home" is a bit out of place, isn't it? Other than the quick inspection we made when we purchased the residence, this is your first time coming here, right?" Louis said.

"Indeed, this is no more than a temporary residence, chosen because of its proximity to the university. But regardless of where it may be, any place where I can drink your tea is home to me." William replied with a closed-eye smile.

Louis smiled at the compliment before remembering something.

"Oh, that reminds me... Brother, this came for you." Louis said, presenting his brother with a telegram on a silver dish.

William picked it up before reading it and then making a comment.

"The Viscount of Belfor?" William said.

"Yes. It seems he's the lord over this whole region." Louis replied.

"He would like to have us over for dinner when we have the chance, would he? Albert is going to be arriving tonight, right?" William said.

"Yes. He is finishing up his current job, and said he would come to see how everything was." Louis replied.

"I see. Then let's all three of us accept his invitation." William said.

That night, the three headed to the Viscount of Belfor's manor. But they weren't expecting him to have another guest.

"Well, I must say, Lord Moriarty, I am delighted to have you and your whole family around my dinner table. I hope that we, as fellow nobleman, can enjoy each other's company for many years to come, as well." The Viscount said.