Chapter 5 - The Case of the Noble Kidnapping

————————————————————————
"A truly strong person does not need the approval of others any more than a lion needs the approval of sheep." – Vernon Howard
————————————————————————
⚠️This chapter contains content taken from Chapter 4 of the manga⚠️

After the four had left the gravesite, they headed back to the Durham manor.

"Hey! Louis! There's no more booze!" Moran called out.

"Don't tell me you think you're a guest here, Mr. Moran?" Louis asked.

"What're you talking about? Of course I'm a guest!" Moran commented.

"Nice house, by the way." He added as a compliment but it went unheard.

"Well, in this house, we have a rule that says those who do not work, are not to be treated as people." Louis simply said.

"What's that?! People?!" Moran replied.

"Albert is in London as a serviceman... And William is also working as a professor. Even Fred is out there tending the garden." Louis points out.

"You know he spent the entire night picking up your bullet shells on the bridge, right?" Louis adds.

"Hold your horses! I did not come here to play servant! William! Didn't we just swear in front of that girl's grave we'd change things?!" Moran exclaimed.

"Of course we did, Moran... And I fully intend to heavily rely on your set of skills." William replied.

"That's more like it!" Moran replied.

"However, everything in due time. So until our next big case comes along, how would you like to help Louis?" William asked.

"Come on!" Moran pleaded.

"Let's go, Mr. Moran." Louis said.

The next day, Albert was relaying information in the London military department.

"A new type of opium?" Someone asked.

"Yes. We believe that the mafia is producing and distributing it with London as their base of operations. This new drug has already spread to the provincial cities as well as amongst the nobility. It's also more addictive than other strains on the market." Albert replied.

"Opium, huh?" Someone comments.

"They might as well have declared war on our entire nation! We suggest that the British army start planning to step in and take this organisation down." Another spoke.

"Not so fast, lieutenant colonel. Opium is not  something so easily dealt with." Someone replied.

"Indeed. First of all, we should check whether any officials or nobles are involved in the distribution of this new type of opium. Do we even know who is behind this, my lord?" Another person added.

"I don't wanna know." A third person said.

"Did you thoroughly check into its origin? On the off chance this group is tied to the army, it could cause quite the scandal. I personally don't think we should risk making this a political matter..." Someone said.

"What?! We are talking about actual civilians' suffering! We even have a bottle of it right here!" the lieutenant colonel argued.

"Well, if that's all we have, then the army has no legal basis to intervene." The man before decided.

"But...!" The lieutenant colonel went to argue.

But it didn't matter. The decision was final.

After the meeting had ended, the lieutenant colonel and Albert had their own conversation on the matter at hand.