Chapter 8 - The Noahtic Act 3

————————————————————————
"The great advantage about telling the truth is that nobody ever believes it." – Dorothy L. Sayers
————————————————————————

"Lord Enders? It's Moriarty. Are you all right? One of the ladies informed me that she heard a shout coming from your room. I am here to make sure all is well." William says after knocking.

"Oh, the door is open. I'm letting myself in." William says before opening the door.

"Lord Enders, where are you?" William says when he enters.

"J-Just a moment!" Enders says in a panic.

"Oh, my... This is... quite serious." William says when he sees a dead man on Enders' carpet.

"Whatever do we have here? I don't suppose you..." William went to ask before being cut off.

"No! Just a moment! It's not like that! H-He attacked me with a knife, and out of nowhere, I, uh..." Lord Enders tried to explain.

"You mean he is a thief?" William asks.

"Yeah! That's right! A robber! The despicable commoner was lurking in my stateroom!" Lord Enders replied.

"However, for him being a thief, I don't see any signs of your room being ransacked. Moreover, this was a thrust through the heart, with no hesitation. From what I can see, the handle of the weapon is fairly exquisitely made. It does not at all appear to be something a commoner would carry. It must belong to you." William says.

"D-Do you doubt my word?!" Lord Enders proceeds to ask.

"No. You are a proud nobleman. I believe what you say. Besides which, there is no way you would do something as unmerited as killing a commoner for no reason." William said.

"Qu-Quite right!" Lord Enders agrees.

"However, circumstantially, it will be difficult to prove to a third party that this man was a thief. Has anyone other than myself seen what happened here?" William asks.

"No." Lord Enders replies.

"Then that simplifies matters. What if we were to discard him into the sea, right away? We are at sea on a moonless night. There is no situation more favourable than this for disposing of a rotten apple without anyone knowing." William suggests.

The two then proceed to pick up the man's body before preparing to throw him overboard into the sea.

"Are you ready?" William asks.

"Yeah." Lord Enders replies.

"Heave, ho!" The two say in unison.

William then stumbled slightly before falling into Lord Enders.

"Whoops! Pardon me." William says.

"No, that's all right." Lord Enders replies.

"Well, we should be getting back. No one has noticed a thing. There is naught to worry about." William says.

"Still..." Lord Enders replies.

"Even if some soul were to realise he has disappeared from the ship, they will likely conclude that he became inebriated and fell into the sea. It happens quite often on ocean voyages, after all." William explains.

"You're right... Yeah, mm-hmm, you're right!" Lord Enders agrees.

"I suspect it goes without saying, but this whole affair..." Lord Enders starts.