Chapter 9 - A Study in S Act 1

————————————————————————
"Punctuality is the virtue of the bored." – Evelyn Waugh
————————————————————————

On a much darker side of London, a meeting was taking place.

"So long as you can take your revenge, it does not matter to you that you may lose your life as a result. Your volition remains unchanged, then?" William asks.

"Of course. Sooner or later, I will fall victim to this incurable disease, and I haven't much time. My wish has already come true. My life means nothing to me." The man replies.

"His death is near, and he is all alone in the world. He is the best man best suited to carrying out this plan. This will allow me to test him." William thought to himself.

It being the next day, London was much brighter. A particular street in London was filled with people walking past and horse-drawn carriages driving on the road. Bringing people to their desired destination. A particular door down this street with the numbers 221B* written on it was opened. A particular detective standing on one side, prepared to leave his residence. He grabbed an apple and bit into it before a lady called his attention from within. Causing him to stiffen up.

"Excuse me, Sherlock!" The lady called.

"M-Miss Hudson, you are looking exceptionally beautiful on this most glorious of days... All right, then, good day." Sherlock comments.

"Just a moment! Here!" Miss Hudson said, holding out her hand.

"Woof!" Sherlock replied, giving her his already bitten into apple.

"Don't you bark at me, you ne'er-do-well!" Miss Hudson said, shoving the apple into his face.

"I just need a little longer! Really, just a little!" Sherlock pleaded on his knees.

"I've grown weary of hearing you say that! If you don't have the money, then get a job! And if you can't do that, I am kicking you out of the room, understand?!" Miss Hudson said.

Regrettably, it gained the attention of a few passing by.

"It isn't like that, Miss Hudson! You know that my job is unique, don't you?! Waiting sort of is my job!" Sherlock explained.

"Huh?!" Miss Hudson said, getting in Sherlock's face.

"Holmes! Holmes, right? What are you shouting about here in the road?" A man said behind Sherlock.

"Stamford! Miss Hudson, this is my good friend..." Sherlock went to introduce but was cut off by Stamford introducing himself.

"The name is Stamford. I'm a doctor at St Bartholomew's Hospital." Stamford introduces.

"Oh, it's a pleasure to meet you." Miss Hudson said, in a friendly tone.

The tone unlike that of which she was using when speaking to Sherlock.

"Now that that's settled... lend me some money." Sherlock asks.

Sherlock then proceeds to explain the situation to Stamford leading him to ponder before speaking.

"I see, so that is the situation." Stamford replied.

"I truly am at my wits' end!" Miss Hudson said, down on her knees with tears streaming down her cheeks.

"Oh, Miss Hudson, being cross will give you wrinkles." Sherlock says.

"What did you say?! And just whose fault is it that I am cross?!" Miss Hudson said, lightly punching Sherlock in the back.