Marriage Proposal

We continued like that for the next three weeks. Thorfinn sneaking into my room at night to hold and comfort me, the farthest we would ever go would be kissing and a few quick make out sessions, but even when I hinted that we could go farther than just that he refused. Saying that I had broken a few ribs and my arm so it was idiotic to do anything very physical. By the time morning came I would awake to find him gone, having snuck back out the window before anyone caught us together.

I was pretty much bed bound thanks to Canute wanting me to get better as fast as possible. He would visit at times, filling me in on recent information. I was happy for any human interaction, so I was grateful for him coming by whenever he could spare the time. I found out that Bjorn had suffered harsh wounds while protecting the prince. So far he was in stable condition as he rested in another inn. I wanted to go and see him, apologize for running off to go and save my father. But Canute and Askeladd both refused to let me leave my bed.

Which brings me to the present, a doctor looking over my chest, feeling at my ribs. Canute and Askeladd sitting off to the side, each of them looking away as my shirt was currently up for the doctor to have better access. "Well it seems that her ribs are all healed up. But that arm may need a few more weeks." He informs them, allowing me to let my shirt fall back down over my breasts.

"That's good to hear, thank you doctor." Canute says standing up from his seat as he goes to open the door, the doctor nodding before taking his leave. Canute shuts the door back with a click, before turning to look at me. "So it seems that I'll be fine to leave this room finally." I say excitedly.

"Yes you will. Tomorrow though, you'll be allowed to then just in case you still need any rest. We'll leave for Denmark soon enough on a ship." Askeladd informs me, standing up from his chair. "Why not today?" I grumble, narrowing my eyes at the two "The doctor said I was fine, let me be free!" I whine.

Canute chuckles "Yes but just one more day of rest won't kill you (Y/N)." My father nods at his words intently. "Then I will take my leave. I have to prepare for when we leave for Denmark. Are you coming with your majesty?" He asks Canute.

The prince shakes his head "I'll be along soon, I wish to speak with (Y/N) for a minute if you will."

My father gives a curt bow mumbling and "of course." before exiting the room, leaving me and Canute alone. "Your father informed me of what he intends to do with you. That you are a daughter of the Hardrada Jarls, and that you are also a descendent of a Welsh king. Meaning you would be an important political tool for establishing relations with Wales." He tells me.

A frown pulls at my lips. "And..? What are you gonna do about it?" I question any form of kindness leaving my voice. "I was wondering if you wished to marry me." He says it so bluntly that he catches me off guard with his forwardness. "First and foremost a political marriage. But I would make sure you are well cared for. I'm positive we will grow to care for one another with time." He says coming to sit beside me on the bed. "I'm not sure about that." I tell him quietly when he puts his hand over my own that was currently in a fist.

"You don't have to answer me now. I heard about how Thorfinn had kissed you before the battle with Thorkell. I know that you and him care for one another. But if anything were to happen, just know that you have me as an option." He sounds very regal with his words. His hand tightening on mine as his looks away from me, making me not completely trust his words that he was fine with me being with Thorfinn over him. Maybe he didn't just see us marrying for only political reasons.

He soon takes his leave. It was dark out now, meaning Thorfinn would be here soon. 'Good, I need him right now.' I think to myself, pulling my knees up to my chest.