His Home

Iceland really holds true to its name. As we neared the island after around two weeks of sailing I felt a chill set into my bones. There were icebergs floating in the ocean, and from where I sat on the deck the cliffs in the distance looked rough and harsh. Barely any trees to be seen in sight of this winter wonderland, it made me wonder who decided this was a good enough place to make roots.

"Thorfinn." I say grabbing the mans attention. "Hm?" he questions. "How do the people on this island live? I see no trees nor fields for farming." I question him earning a smile. "When I lived here we lived off of livestock and fish. It's the main trade of my village I believe, we did have bread and vegetables at times but that was mainly brought in from merchants such as Lief." He answered.

"I probably won't be able to answer many questions though if you ask about Iceland. Remember how young we were when we met? I don't remember too much of the island." Thorfinn admits to me, dragging his attention back to the island in the distance. "Is that so?" Einar pitches in, "How young were you when you became a warrior?" he asks. "I believe I was around six years old" Thorfinn says, counting his fingers to make sure before looking to me questioningly. "We were six right?" he asks and I shake my head. "Yup, around that age."

"So you've been gone for that long? You've spent more of your life outside of Iceland then." Einar says. "Yeah.. it makes me nervous to meet with my mother and sister now. God how can I look them in the face after running away for so long." Thorfinn says, worry showing on his sharply featured face. "I'm sure they'll just be happy to see that you're still alive, even if you left them for so long." I tell him, standing up from where I had sat on a barrel and walking over to him. Putting my hand on his shoulder he looks at me, scared of whether his mother or sister will accept him. "It'll be fine." I promise him

Once we dock at the harbor Lief approaches a couple of men asking where Thorfinns sister Ylva might be, saying that her brother Thorfinn has returned. The men look at us in confusion and suspicion not exactly believing us that Thorfinn was Ylva's brother but pointed us toward the market. Once there a tall and beautiful woman noticed us as soon as we approached "Thorfinn...?" She said questioningly. She had the same shade of dirty blonde hair as Thorfinns, though her hair was wavy and had curls where Thorfinns was straight.

"Sister!" Thorfinn murmured a smile breaking out on his face, going in for a hug when she brought her foot up and slammed it into his face. "I don't know anyone with that name." She snorts. Thorfinn backs up grabbing his face, I come up besides him asking if hes okay as I hear Lief tell Ylva "Actually you do, this is THorfinn your younger brother. Remember?"

"My younger brother died when he was still young. You remember that?" She snarks back at Lief. "And I'm telling you he's alive. Don't you remember I met him back in York and he was with a young viking girl?" Lief continues. "Then why didn't you bring him back then?" Ylva says with a sigh, "Come on you told that lie to cheer up me and my mother, it was never true." she said before grabbing THorfinn by the front of his shirt and catching us both off guard. "Come on fess up you midger! What's your motive for tricking Lief into thinking you're my dead brother huh? We aren't a rich family so go trick someone else into getting their family money." She says with one final shake before dropping him and storming off, not even giving us a glimpse back as she left.

"Your sister is.. something else" I say to Thorfinn. "Yup, she's exactly how I remember too." He says sullenly as I help him to his feet. "She reminds me of you, mostly how you used to be with your moody self." I tease him. "Ya well I suppose it runs in the family. To be honest I expected her to not remember me at first but when she said my name I got excited." He said.

"Maybe she doesn't want to believe it's really you, people are strange like that Thorfinn. She's made peace you were dead and you waltz back in, I'd imagine it to be hard on her." I tell him, him giving me an understanding nod at my words before I ask" Why don't we go and see your mother? I'm sure she'll be happy to see you."