Rumors and Anger

By nightfall there were already many rumors about the prince's double being killed. Many people didn't even know that it had been a double. The town was full of gossip and rumors all throughout. People talking about the possibility that it could be an Englander, a member of the royal court, or even the king. Which is just what the prince had wanted.

"So you ordered the assassin?" Thorkell asked where he sat in the small inn room. My father, the prince, one of Thorkells men, and Gunnar, who was apparently the brother of Ragnar, was there. "You we're playing your own work." Thorkell added, leaning back in his chair. "Ya and it was a pretty nice play." My father said with a mischievous grin.

"Unless his majesty takes off his cover the rumor itself isn't enough, combined with the spectacle we put on today the rumors we've spread about how they king wants his son dead will become more persuasive and spread like wildfire throughout the town." Askeladd said as we all listened intently.

"Every man knows of the successor race between prince Harald and prince Canute, plus the assassination attempt today. How do you think this will affect the meeting tomorrow?" He questioned looking around at us. "I get it. The king won't be able to give me an order that works against me." The prince said calmly from where he sat, one of his legs over the other.

"Exactly your highness. If he tries to separate you from Thorkell and or try to send you off to a bloody battlefield it would confirm the rumors." My father said.

"In spite of its appearance, popularity is crucial when one is on the throne." Gunnar said, crossing his arms. "So he won't leave a bad rumor against himself. Especially felicide." I add.

"You're so cunning Askeladd. How do you learn all of this?" Thorkell questioned my father. "Brawling is the only kind of warfare Thorkell. You would be smart to realize that." Father said as he went to sit beside me.

"With this plan the king won't dare to interfere with us. Good job Askeladd." The prince praised my father. That's when Gunnar suddenly sat up "Wow I'm so moved by you Askeladd. It's so assuring to have you on our side." He praised as he went to leave quickly. "This seems to be settled for the time being, I'll be going now to get some rest. Have a good night all of you." He said before he slammed the door behind him. It was obvious he was going to be betraying us.

"Your highness. You shouldn't trust Gunnar. He's a spy for his highness." My father said, saying my thoughts out loud. "Clarify why for me?" Canute asked. "It's obvious from how he ran off once he got any information. He was practically foaming at the mouth to get our plans back to the king." I tell the prince.

"Then wouldn't it be bad if he leaked what we talked about?" Thorkell said with a confused look on his face. My father shakes his head "No, I only spoke what the king probably must have already figured out. It won't matter if it's leaked."

"I have Thorfinn tailing him tonight to see if he will betray us." My father adds which catches my attention. I hadn't seen him since we had our fight, I wondered if he was deliberately trying not to see me right now.

"What should we do if Thorfinn affirms our concerns? Should we kill him." The prince states as if he truly couldn't care less about killing off another man. "We'll leave him be, he may still be useful in the future." Askeladd says. The prince lets out a sigh before standing up from his seat. "Then I believe that brings an end to our discussion for tonight."

One by one each man stands up to leave except for me. "Father, can I have a moment to talk with you?" I ask him, feeling nervous about what I was about to propose to him. "Hm? Of course, little dove." He answered, allowing the rest of the men to leave one by one until it was just him and me left in the room.

"So what is it?" He questions as he takes his seat again. I go to sit besides him, licking my lips nervously as I'm not sure how to phrase my words. "I-I don't want to marry the prince." I stutter out gaining a small bit of confidence. It was so odd to me that I could take on a man like Thorkell in battle yet I was so scared of disappointing my father.

"Why?" He asks, his voice dropping an octave lower. I'm looking down at the floor, unable to look up and meet his gaze. "I don't love him." I reply truthfully. "Is this because of Thorfinn?" He says with fake calmness. I nod my head "Yes.. I don't think I could marry the prince when I love him instead." I say quietly, trying my best to not buckle under the weight of my anxiety and just let it go. I needed to stand up for myself and let my wants be known.

"And why should I let you marry that little bastard?" He finally says after a silent moment. I look up at him heartbroken. A small hopeful part of me had wished that my father would allow me to be with the man I loved, it was stupid to expect that. "Because I love him. Shouldn't that be enough for you to not force me to marry the prince." I say feeling crushed.

"No it's not enough. The prince will be able to protect you and keep you safe. You'll be able to live a life of luxury and wealth. What do you think that boy can give you? He'll just drag you along as he tries to kill me, is that what you want? A life with man who has nothing but his hatred." He scoffed at me. Dejectedly I look away from my father. I didn't know what to say, maybe he was right, maybe Thorfinn will never get over his hatred. Do I want that kind of life? I'm beginning to shake at this point as the thoughts begin to overwhelm me. Should I go after what I wanted, or what I needed to live a comfortable life.

"But I can't. I can't leave him." I murmured. My father narrowed his eyes at me ".. Have you slept with him?" He questioned quietly, the anger visible on his face.
The panicked look on mine was all he needed to confirm his question. "You will sleep in my room at the inn tonight." He gritted out, grabbing my arm and leading me out the door to where his room was. His grip hurting me as he pulled me along.

"I'm sorry.. Please don't be mad." I pleaded as he barged into the room. "I'll be placing men outside of your room. You will marry the prince no matter your feelings. I won't let you throw away this opportunity for you." He said as he went to leave. "Where are you going?" I asked.
"Don't worry yourself about that. I'll be back soon enough, I just need to prepare for something." He replied before leaving without another word, the door locking with a click.