Chapter 39

Disclaimer: Time Jumps, Flashbacks

The sky has begun to turn dark and the sound of distant traffic hums in the background – illuminated by the soft glow of lights from the buildings.

Ryujin walked over to where her fiancèe was sitting and handed her a drink.

The latter smiled fondly and patted the space next to her.

They are currently enjoying the night view of a quick ferry ride across New York. They initially planned on a more comprehensive itinerary but decided to go with the options that they'll come across during the trip – it's Ryujin's first time in the city, after all. And Yeji didn't want to pressure her into doing anything that she won't be up to.

"It's awfully nice here, damn." The brunette joked.

They have been trying to decide and reconcile on where to settle down once they get married.

Although the best and more convenient option would be to stay in Seoul, Ryujin still insisted on traveling to New York and checking out the city that Yeji lived in for almost 10 years.

"It is. But there's also plenty of these views in Seoul. And much more – you know, when you get tired from being in the city."

"You're right, Jagi. Let's enjoy our stay here, then. We can always visit."

The brunette reached out for Yeji's hand and the latter returned it with a squeeze.

"How we got here still drives me crazy... just thinking about it."

"Yeah. And you almost didn't make it to the airport last year, after promising that you'll wait for me." Yeji pouted.

Ryujin was giddy and excited and was on her way out the door to pick Yeji up when her house's landline unexpectedly rang.

She snarled and dragged her feet back to where the telephone was located.

Before she could even let out a hello, a familiar voice filled the other line.

"Ryujin-ah. It's me. I'm sorry if I'm catching you on a bad time, but I know you changed numbers and this is the only one I still know."

The girl on the other line sounded anxious and out of breath.

"What happened? Are you in danger??" The brunette's thoughtful nature kicked in immediately.

"N-no. It's my Mom. She passed out in her room and the helper found her hours after. She was rushed to the hospital and no one really knows what to do." The girl started to cry.

"M-my dad. H-he-I dddi-..." She started choking up and her voice turned inaudible.

"Hey. Isa... Breathe... Come on, calm down and tell me what to do so I can help you out."

Ryujin started counting slowly and eventually got the additional details from Isa.

When the call dropped, she immediately grabbed her keys and ran to her car. She drove as fast as she could to the hospital and even committed a few traffic violations.

She'll have to pay for that later, she thought. But now, there's somewhere more important that she needed to go to.