Chapter 9

I got to work the next day and Jared was waiting for me next to my desk.

"Hey," I mumbled.

"You're late," he said.

"I know, I'm sorry, I couldn't sleep last night-"

"I don't need to hear any excuses from you, you're fired."

"What?! Jared, are you serious?! I am 6 minutes late! You're seriously going to fire me over 6 minutes?!"

He grinned.

"Look on your desk," he said, pointing to a piece of paper he had printed out.

"What's this?" I asked.

"Read it," he ordered. I grabbed the piece of paper and brought it closer to my face, slightly unsure of what was going on.

"Plane tickets? Why?"

"I spoke with Morgan last night. I know you're only staying here because of me. Look, I know you're afraid that our friendship will be ruined if you leave, but I'm telling you; it'll be fine," he said, seemingly genuine. "You're my best friend, Aubrey. I know you like him and I know he likes you and I don't want to stand in the way of that. So, you go and see if that's truly the life you want because if you don't you'll end up resenting me and I don't want that."

"I won't resent you," I mumbled.

"I don't want to stand in the way of your happiness. Or even his for that matter. I know everything you've been through in the last couple of years and you deserve the break. You should get to be happy. Even if it doesn't involve me," he said looking down.

"I'm happy here," I stated.

"So, you want me to get a refund on the tickets or...?"

"No," I admitted.

"Now let me give you some eye drops, you look like you cried all night," he said, pulling out a small vial from the cabinet behind us. I looked down, slightly embarrassed he had noticed.

"So, why are you firing me? I was kinda hoping I could get my job back when I'd come home."

"The severance package," he whispered, winking at me.

"Oh, Jared you don't have to-"

"I want to. Morgan mentioned how you didn't want to give up your financial independence and I totally get that, you shouldn't have to. And you won't. Or at least, not for a little while," he smiled. I didn't know what to say. I knew Jared well and his pride often got in the way of things. For him to come out and do this for me meant a lot. I knew he didn't want me to leave. I knew he probably was still wary of Morgan and would have preferred if I stayed here, in Vermont, with him. But he still made the arrangements for me to go and do my thing. He wanted me to be happy and he chose my happiness over his own. Not a lot of people would've done that, even for a friend.

"I don't know what to say, Jared."

"Then don't say anything. No goodbyes, no tears. Go get Ellie and head to the airport, your plane leaves at 12."

"Jared, I-"

"Go! Before I change my mind," he teased. I smiled at him.

"Okay," I whispered, swallowing back tears of joy. "Thank you, Jared," I said as I walked away.

***

I got home and grabbed the bags I had packed the night before. I was ready to go pack the car when I checked my phone. No texts. No missed calls. Nothing. What if he doesn't want me to come anymore? I decided to call him before making any drastic move. It rang twice before he picked up.