Chapter 37

"Were you just gonna hide this from me?" he said, turning the screen towards me, displaying the texts Jared had sent me. Fuck

"I wasn't hiding anything from you. I just saw this when you left the room!" I defended myself, knowing fully well I might not have told him if he hadn't found out.

"I'm gonna give him a piece of my mind," he said, throwing a sweater on and getting ready to leave.

"Woah, there. Where do you think you're going?" I asked.

"I'll let him know who he's messing with," he spat angrily.

"Can you calm down for a minute? Why the hell do you always have to be so fucking impulsive?"

"Oh, I'm in the wrong here?!"

"That's not what I'm s-"

"You know what, Aubrey? I'm getting a little sick of always being painted as the bad guy. If you think I'm such an impulsive piece of shit then maybe he's right. Maybe you'd be better off with him," he said, slightly raising his voice.

"You don't mean that."

"Oh, I mean it. Call him, tell him to come pick you up. I'm done."

"Are you serious right now?!" I asked, tears welling up in my eyes.

"Dead fucking serious."

"You told me you loved me," I whispered, my voice breaking.

"People lie. Grow up," he said. My heart sank into my stomach. How the fuck could he do this to me?! I let the tears run down my cheeks and picked up my phone. He left the room and slammed the door behind him. I sat on the floor, my legs feeling too weak to even stand on. The pain I was feeling, in that moment, was greater than I'd ever imagined a heartbreak could feel. I sobbed quietly, holding my head between my hands. How the fuck did we get here?

AUBREY, 10:38 AM: Please don't do this to me.. I love you..

I wrote as my hands trembled across the keys. I inhaled slowly, trying to calm myself down, in vain.

MORGAN, 10:39 AM: Go home, Aubrey.

I felt my heart break into a million pieces as I read that. I called Jared.

"Hello?"

"Can you come pick me up?" I sobbed into the phone, trying to regulate my breathing.

"What's going on? Where are you?"

"At Lesli's house. He doesn't want me anymore- He asked me to leave and- Ellie and I-"

"Hey, hey it's okay," he said softly, putting an end to my rambling as I hyperventilated over the phone. "Breathe in," he said, doing it with me. "There you go, breathe out," he added softly.

"I love him, Jared," I whispered, my voice breaking as I spoke these words.

"I'm on my way, alright?" he assured me.

"Okay," I whispered before hanging up.

****

I was waiting on the front porch with mine and Ellie's stuff all packed up when I saw Jared's truck pull into the driveway. He climbed out of the driver's seat and walked up to me.

"You okay?" he said softly, looking into my eyes. I nodded, giving him a faint smile as my eyes filled up with tears. "Where's Ellie?" He asked.

"Inside. I haven't told her yet that we're leaving. She's playing with her bro- with Indie," I mumbled.

"Alright, go wait in the truck, I'll get her," he said softly. I nodded.

"Thank you," I said, walking up to his truck and getting into the passenger's seat. I saw Morgan come out of the house and start talking to Jared. I couldn't hear what they were saying but I could see the conversation was getting heated. I opened the door and climbed out of the truck to hear what was going on.