Chapter 33

"She's the one with the lacey red underwear isn't she?" I asked, trying to swallow back tears. He bit the inside of his cheek and didn't answer. I could see him looking at me from the corner of his eye. I took a deep breath, trying not to let this ruin my day.

"You know, it's one thing to know you've been with a lot of women before me, it's a whole 'nother thing to find their underwear on your kitchen counter. But to actually meet her, Morgan; to have her come talk to my future husband, right in front of me, at my baby shower. That's just more than I can handle right now," I breathed, holding back tears.

"I don't even know why the fuck she's here, Aubrey," he whispered, scratching the back of his head.

"You know, you talk shit about Jared all the time. Telling me you don't want him around me when you know damn well he's my best fucking friend. Well guess what? I didn't sleep with Jared. But then I can't even have a freaking baby shower without being surrounded by the hoes you fucked before me. Are you serious, Morgan? How the fuck is that shit fair?!" I spat, angrily, knowing full well that if I didn't let the anger come out, the tears would. And there was no way I would cry in front of him -or Mrs. Red Underwear- right now.

"It's not! I know it's not, but it's not like I planned this-"

"See, that's exactly what you said when I found the damn underwear in the first place. Oh it's not like I planned this. Well, here's the thing, Morgan; whether you planned this or not couldn't matter less. It still fucking stings all the same."

I got up off the bench and he grabbed my hand softly.

"Where are you going? Please don't leave now," he whispered.

"I'm not gonna freaking leave. I wouldn't do that to your mom. I'm just gonna go talk to someone who actually gives a shit," I snapped. He sighed.

I walked away from the pond and started looking for Jared when my phone rang. I picked it up immediately.

"Hello?"

"Hi, my love! I heard you're having your baby shower today! I'm so sorry I couldn't be here," Chelsea said. I sighed.

"Girl, I miss you."

"I miss you too, how's life in Tennessee?" She asked.

"You're catching me on a weird day," I admitted. "Ask me again tomorrow?" I chuckled softly.

"Trouble in paradise?"

"something like that. If I fly you out, will you come over sometime? Soon?"

"Sure, I would love that!"

"Okay, we'll figure out something then. Talk soon?" I asked.

"Talk soon, Brey," she said before hanging up. I sighed. Damn I miss my girlfriend. I walked around looking for Jared and finally found him sitting under a willow tree, by himself.

"Hey," I said. He looked up to see who was talking to him and smiled at me.

"Hey."

"Can I sit with you?" I asked, sitting down without giving him time to answer.

***

Jared and I had now been sitting together and talking for nearly three hours. The sun had come down and people had started to leave.

"You know what sucks the most?" I asked.

"What?" He answered. I knew he was drunk by now, and so was everyone else at the party. Everybody had been sipping on wine and whiskey since the early hours of the afternoon and I was pregnant, which meant totally sober. But even drunk Jared was better company than sober Georgia, so I stayed hidden under that tree with him.