Chapter 28

We pulled into Lesli's driveway and I jumped out immediately. I went around the car and got Ellie out of her car seat.

"Let me help you," Morgan said.

"I've been doing it by myself for three years, I don't need your help," I snapped. I grabbed Ellie and started carrying her towards the house with Morgan following me.

"I know you can do it by yourself, but you shouldn't be doing heavy lifting. Jared said-"

"Morgan, I need you to get the fuck off my case right now," I snarled. He sighed. I tried to go up the front porch but missed the first step and fell on my side. Ellie woke up and started crying instantly.

"Fuck," I whispered, feeling a sharp pain in my lower abdomen.

"Baby, are you okay?" Morgan asked, genuinely concerned.

"I'm alright. Can you take Ellie to bed?"

"I'll take her," Leslie said, picking her up softly and carrying her in. I felt tears well up in my eyes and Morgan noticed right away.

"Are you hurt, Aubrey? Don't act tough, tell me if you are it's import-"

"I think my water broke," I breathed, pointing at the wet spot in my jeans.

"Shit," Morgan said. "Can you walk?" He asked, getting me up off the ground. I nodded. "Alright, I'm taking you to the hospital."

He held my thigh throughout the drive while I tried to hide the tears that were running down my face. I was 20 weeks pregnant. Halfway through a full term pregnancy. I knew full well that if I gave birth right now, the chances of my baby surviving would be slim to none.

"I should have let you help me," I cried.

"You never listen to me," Morgan said dryly. "Every time I try to help it fucking backfires. It's like you don't even know me well enough to understand that I always have good intentions when it comes to you."

He was right. I was guarded, and I'd always been guarded by fear of getting hurt, or betrayed. And now, I had put our baby in jeopardy because I was too hard headed to admit I needed help. I wanted to avoid showing weakness so bad that I had gotten my priorities all wrong.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, my voice breaking.

"It was reckless," he stated dryly.

"Morgan, I said I was sorry. I can't go back in time. What do you want me to do?" I cried softly. He didn't answer.

He pulled into the ER's parking lot and came to open the door for me and helped me climb out of his truck. I wiped my tears quickly and he helped me walk to the triage desk. The nurse gave us forms to fill out and said that a doctor would be calling us shortly and that I should let my practitioner know that I'd be getting admitted, so Morgan took it upon himself to call Jared.

"Hey man, sorry, I know it's late, but we're in the hospital," Morgan told Jared. I couldn't hear what he was saying. "Yeah, she fell in the stairs with Ellie in her arms, she says she thinks her water broke," he stated. His face changed all of a sudden. "I know that, Jared. She insisted, wouldn't let me take her-" "No," he continued. "You know how she gets when things don't go her way!" He defended himself. I started at him.

"I'm right here," I said.

"Ms. Aubrey Farrell, room 5," someone called over the intercom.

"We gotta go Jared, they're calling us," he said before hanging up. He helped me up and we walked into the room where the doctor was already waiting for us.