Chapter 29: Working the Cabinet.

A/N: Hi everyone, I've been having more and more time to write the story and I hope you'll like this chapter a lot. :) I've had fun writing this chapter and I hope you'll like it as much :) The ending is coming rather soon, in around 6-8 chapters. Thank you! Please comment and vote!

It's been a week and Draco and I have been working on fixing the cabinet. Things have been going smoothly with the fixing. The spells both of us have used are useful and have benefitted the cabinet. Today was the last day of the fixing and both of us have neglected our studies and pretty much everything, even our engaged status for our mission to be complete. 

We make our way to the Room of Requirement before breakfast and fling my bag down on the ground before whipping out my wand and taking off to the cabinet. Draco follows behind me, wand is his hand. 

"Here," I point to a corner of the cabinet that was clearly out of place. "We have to fix this."

Draco mutters a spell under his breath, so soft I couldn't figure out what he was saying. Whatever he was doing, he had a crease in his forehead as he concentrated hard on the spell. Soon, the whole cabinet shook from the spell and it was fixed. I knew it because the corner appeared perfect, nothing was out of place and everything was okay. Now it's only time to bring something in and out of the cabinet, to and from Hogwarts. 

"What can we use?" I ask Draco, my eyes fixated in the cabinet.

"Stay here," he tells me before walking off into the darkness and somewhere into some place in the room of requirement. 

Before I knew it, Draco reappeared from the darkness and he had something small and soft that was struggling under his grip. He opened the cabinet door and released the small yellow bird in it. He closed the door and nodded to me, giving me the signal to move it over. 

I shut the door and locked the handle. I mutter the spell for the movement to take place. When I hear a click sound, I open the door again and the bird was nowhere. Satisfied, I closed the door again and muttered the same spell to get the bird back into the cabinet in Hogwarts, where Draco and I were standing. A thump told me the transition worked.

I opened the cabinet, hoping that the bird will come back alive. My heart was beating quickly and my head was throbbing. I wanted this over and done with. Having the bloody bird dead would mean that something was still wrong with the stupid cabinet. I place my hand on the knob and open the cabinet. Feeling my frustration, Draco takes my hand is his and intertwines our fingers together. 

"Relax, Rach," he tells me, placing his other hand on mine that was on the knob. 

He turned the knob and immediately, the small yellow bird fluttered out of the darkness of the cabinet and into the Room of Requirement. I release my hand from the knob and hugged Draco so tight. I was relieved. Everything would work now. All the efforts that Draco and I put into this mission would pay off. We could relax a little now. We could go back to study harder and not bother about the mission that was now completed. All we needed now was to tell Snape to inform the other death eaters about the cabinet and how they would be able to use it for the assassination.

"You're amazing," he whispers into my ear before kissing my jaw. 

His warm breath on my skin and the smell of his hair lingered in the air as I pulled away from him. Draco wrapped his arms around my waist, his eyes sparkling in the dim light of the Room of Requirement. It's been long since Draco and I could spend time alone with each other, just being next to each other. 

"You're even more amazing," I told him. 

"I love you, Mrs Malfoy," he whispers to me, taking my left hand in his right and kissing it, looking at the engagement ring I hardly paid attention to the past few days. 

All of a sudden, my eyes dart to a clock that sat on the table. It was already twelve o'clock. It was going to be lunch soon. Might as well take this chance to skip the last few minutes of classes and see Snape instead. 

I reluctantly pull away from Draco and take my bag, shoving my wand in there. He wore a confused expression on his face. 

"We should see Snape about this," I tell him, taking his hand in turn and walking out of the Room of Requirement, careful not to be seen by people who shouldn't be involved.

When we make our way out of the Room of Requirement, we stealthily, quickly and quietly snuck down to the dungeons where Snape's office was. We reach Snape's office in time such that no one ended their lessons and everyone was in class. I knock on the Snape's office door and it flung open so quick it could have knocked the wind out of me. 

"Professor, Draco and I have fixed the cabinet we were wondering if the other deatheaters could use the cabinet to come into the castle for the assassination to be made possible," I told Snape in a hushed tone to prevent being overheard by the wrong people.

"Well done and yes... I think it is a good idea. I'm glad you have taken my advise on this matter," Snape dragged the last few words of his sentence. "I will send Bellatrix a letter to inform the other death eaters of our new plan. When do you think the assassination is to take place?" 

"Anytime," Draco said without checking with me. "It should be fine. Or earlier. The cabinet is ready for use so it's available anytime I guess..."

"Well then, I'll send the message to Bellatrix now for the deatheaters to arrive in two days," Snape continues, already picking up a quill and scribbling quickly on a piece of parchment.

When he was done, he folded the paper delicately and tied it together with a string and sent it off using a jet black owl that sat on his window that hardly overviewed anything.

"You may go now," he sends Draco and I off with a wave of his hand.

Draco and I walk out of his office obediently and before we could do anything, the threesome crashed into the two of us. Hermione fell to the floor, the contents of her bag spilling out. Weasel immediately stooped down to help her get her things in place and to help her up. Potter just stared at me, his eyes on fire. Why me? Why was he looking at me like that? What was up with him? Geez, weird much?

Not waiting to say anything, Draco and I stalked off, leaving the threesome. "You could've at lease apologised," I could hear Hermione say. 

"I don't see a need for one," Draco replied, his voice cold.

"It was partly your fault for causing Hermione to fall so I think she deserves an apology," Potter replied, his voice just as cold as his eyes.

Why did I feel the urge to just run to Hermione and hug her? Why did I have a feeling that this was the last chance before she saw me as a murderer? Why didn't I feel hatred towards her as I used to a few months ago? A part in me wanted to make things go back to the way they were in the past, like when Hermione and I could talk to each other like we weren't in different houses, like before Hogwarts. I wanted to go back in time so badly, to make things right when they already were. A part of me wanted to run from the life I was in, yet another part of me was grateful for Draco to have entered my life. Who knew what I could have done or been without him? He was the boy who put me into place, he was the one who made everything better when things were just beyond terrible. 

It was Draco's tough hand that pulled me back into reality. He nudged me to ignore the trio behind us and just keep walking. I could feel Hermione's eyes on my back and my clothes seemed to weigh like a thousand times heavier on my back. Nevertheless, I continue walking on into the darkness into the Great Hall to have lunch. 

Both of us knew that everything was going to end. And it wasn't going to end anytime soon. But it will... eventually. Deep in my heart, there was a part that wished that this wasn't going to happen. A part of me wished that Harry Potter will defeat the Dark Lord. But of course, this secret was kept safe, so safe not even legilimency would be able to penetrate. I guarded this secret so much because should I let it slip, I would be dead in a second. Loyalty is the Dark Lord's prized possession.