Chapter 5: Potions Task with... Malfoy.

A/N: Okay this chapter may seem a bit odd because I missed two years of Hogwarts. I haven't added POVs yet but I'll add them in when I finish the whole story in Rachel's POV. I hope you're liking the story so far! Please comment on anything I can improve on, I'm editing the stories bit by bit and correcting minor errors along the way. Thank you! x

Remember how I was sorted into Slyherin in first year and how confused I was? I guess I was just different from the rest of my family. Trust me when I say that. When I got home from first year, it wasn't pretty. 

When my parents found out about me getting into Slytherin and they grounded me for the whole holiday. They even forbade Herms from visiting us, in fear that my 'bad habits' may rub off on her. My once-loving parents now treated me like dirt that they could never get rid of. It was obvious how much they detested the Slytherin house, yet I still don't know what happened between my family and the Malfoys years ago.

Remember how Herms said in a note that we'd write to each other every night? That never happened. She never replied the only letter I sent to her. From that day on, she never bothered to glance in my direction or even bother to talk to me. It was as if we never knew each other at all. It killed me inside out, until I started bonding with other girls from Slytherin - mostly Esme. Esme was like a sister, she was closer than Hermione was to me, but she wasn't that close I could tell her my deepest, darkest secrets, no. Just someone I could go to if I had a problem, someone I could hang out with without worrying about anything in the world. 

I'm starting to like most Slytherins, most probably because we're all very similar, we all loved to have power, to be able to get whatever we wanted by doing anything and everything even if it involved breaking the rules. But there was that one boy in Slytherin I could never understand. I could never follow his thoughts. He was just so nasty to everyone. He loves poking fun at me and annoying me on purpose. He loves getting under my skin and I knew it. I never liked that slimeball - Draco Malfoy. He was really good at Potions, though. He'd get top of the class, probably because he's Snape's class pet. I knew for one thing - Potter, Weasel and Granger didn't like him either. That was the only thing that we'd ever agree on.

- - - 

"This project will be done in pairs and it should be completed and submitted to me by the end of two terms. The topic for this project will be to brew a potion that will be able to produce immense joy just by drinking it," Snape explained. Maybe I can partner Esme on this project, I thought. "But, before you can begin your project... I will assign your partners for this task." 

I slouched in my seat at his last six words. Assigned partners? What were the odds of me partnering with Esme? 

"Why so tense, Farrell?" Draco asked frome behind me. He saw that I slid down my seat so far I was practically lying down with my eyes on level with my knees. "Surely you'd want to partner me?" He snickered.

"Yeah, sure. Just wait to see what I'd do to you if we were even partners!" I spat at him. He was such a slimeball. His hair was disgusting and his eyes looked like they came out of a rock.

"Rachel Farrell?" Snape called out my name. I walked to the front of the class and I picked a name from the cauldron with various slips of papers. I grabbed a slip and refused to open it until I knew Draco wasn't looking at me. When his friend Blaise was making some face and had Draco distracted, I opened the tiny slip of paper under my table, with Esme looking curiously as well. As I removed the spello-tape from the paper, I folded it back down. 

"I can't do this. You do it for me," I passed it to Esme. She quickly ripped the tape off and unfolded the paper in quick movements. This time, a shocked expression appears on her face before she got into a fit of laugher. "So who is it?" I asked, but she kept laughing like there was no end to this rubbish.