Chapter 46: Pre-Invasion.

A/N: Hey everyone! Here's the next chapter. I expect about three to four more chapters after this. I've been debating with myself whether to have a happy but cliche ending or a sad but touching one. I've got fabulous ideas for both but I can't seem to decide on which one I should pick. Please drop a comment on which ending you'd prefer. :) Hopefully you'll like this chapter as much as I've enjoyed writing it. Thank you for the 10,100 reads, you guys are absolutely amazing! Keep reading, commenting and voting! Thank you x

I mentally prepared myself for a bloody battle. I was prepared to die if necessary for Hermione or Draco.  I loved them both incredibly much and it would kill me to have to send either of them off in a coffin. The warmth of the Manor was back again when the Dark Lord disapparated and left the deatheaters seated along the table. I could feel my hands shaking and quivering so I grip them tight to keep them from shivering too much. Everyone rises from their seats, each person strolling silently and mutely across the room to the exit from which they apparated out of. Soon, the room was just Narcissa, Draco and I. 

"Rachel, we should go up now," Draco nudged my arm. 

I went stiff all over. My arms locked in their positions, refusing the budge. My eyes lay fixed on the black table where my hands sat, cold and clammy. "Rachel," Narcissa took my arm firmly. My arm gave way. It jerked oddly to my side as Narcissa tugged on it hopelessly. 

Draco's POV

I knew Rachel was going to react this way. This sort of news affected her so much it took her days before she cracked a smile. As Mother tugged hopelessly on her arm, Rachel remained stiff and solid on her chair, limp and unresponsive. 

"Mother, I'll get her up. You should go rest for the day. It's a day more until the invasion," I called out to her. She lets go of Rachel's arm and it falls to the side of the chair. She nods before kissing me on the forehead. 

When her footfalls faded into the dark corridor, I shut the door of the room we were in and locked it temporarily. I stroll over to Rachel's side. I pull a chair and sit beside her. "Rachel." She glances sharply up at me. Her eyes were dead serious and cold. Her brown eyes never looked at me that way before.

"What," she asked me as if saying those words was acid.

"Rachel- " was all I said and she burst out crying. I pulled her in for a hug. "I'm sorry." She silently sobbed into my chest, the familiar smell of her brown hair and the feel of her body against mine was sweet. She buried her face into the crook of my neck, her arms wound tightly around my body. Her crying slowly came to a stop and when it did, she pulled away from me. 

"I'm sorry," said Rachel. "Hermione, my mother..." Another tear falls from her eyes but I use my thumb and wipe it away, looking into her warm brown eyes. 

"Don't worry, they're going to be safe. They are safe and they always will be," I pulled her in for a hug again and her chin rests on my shoulder. "I promise. We'll keep them safe somehow." She nods and pulls away from me. She sighs before getting up of from the black wooden chair. Her feet move silently across the room. I follow behind her, watching each step she took. Her hair fell on her back so perfectly like a chocolate waterfall. I caught up with her and put my arm around her waist. She turns her head to face mine and smiles slightly. We walk together up to our room. She walks away from my grip, grabbing a new set of clothes and washing up. When she exited the bathroom, I entered, doing my business and exiting. The lights were off and a long slender figure on the bed. 

She must be really affected by this, I thought. Affected enough to want to sleep at two o'clock in the afternoon.

Rachel's POV