Chapter 2

Ali didn't come back home and turned off his phone. Jana was waiting for him at home as usual after work, but he was delayed. She called him but his phone was off, which made her very worried. Suddenly, the doorbell rang and she sighed, thinking he had finally arrived. She went to open the door, but it was not her husband, it was her cousin Samira. Jana was surprised by her arrival at this time and without informing her beforehand.

Jana said, "Samira, welcome, but it's strange for you to come at this time without even telling me that you're coming."

Samira replied, "I'm sorry, Jana, but your husband called me and asked me to be with you today. He said you might need me, but he didn't tell me what happened and what you need me for."

Jana looked at her in surprise and said, "What are you talking about, and where is Ali? I've been trying to call him, but his phone is off and I don't know where he is. I've been very worried about him. This is the first time he's done this."

"I don't know, my dear. He told me that and then ended the call. I tried to call him again, but his phone was off. You tell me what happened." Samira replied.

"I don't understand what's happening, Samira. Can you tell me what's going on? I feel like there's something strange going on. Where is my husband now? His behavior towards me yesterday was strange. It was like he was saying goodbye to me. He was holding me, hugging me, and kissing me eagerly. He hasn't done that in a long time. There's a secret in all of this, and your coming here and him asking you to come to me may be related to that secret. I want to know the secret now."

The doorbell rang again, and Jana rushed to open it, hoping it would be her husband.

But she found a man with papers and he said to her, "Are you Mrs. Jana Abdul Salam?" "Yes, I am. But who are you and what do you want?" she replied. "I am here from the court to deliver this paper to you. Please sign here and take the paper," he said. Jana asked, not understanding what was happening, "What paper?" "It's a divorce paper. Your husband, Mr. Ali Al-Sulmani, has divorced you," he replied.

Janna couldn't believe what she was hearing. She was completely unaware of what was going on around her, still in shock. Her cousin Samira was beside her, also in shock. How could this be

possible? There must be something wrong happening around them.

Tears started rolling down Janna's face, and her mind was almost gone. "I can't believe that Ali divorced me for no reason. We didn't fight, and nobody was angry. Love was spreading all over our house. What happened, and why didn't he tell me? There must be something abnormal happening, and he didn't tell me. I can't believe it, Samira, I can't believe that my husband divorced me for no reason and disappeared, and his phone is off," Janna said.

"This is really weird and illogical. There must be a secret behind all of this. I could have said that maybe he met another woman and wanted to marry her and leave with her, but my mind refuses this. The issue must be bigger than having another woman in his life," Samira replied.

After Ali divorced his wife, his mother took him to meet the head of the Bani Khalid tribe. They both took the train as the journey would take about five hours until they arrived at the house of the head of the Bani Khalid tribe in one of the villages in Upper Egypt. Ali's mother began talking to her son, saying: "Listen, my son. You are now free from your marriage and on your way to the head of the tribe."

"You will listen to him, and he will deliver to you the book containing the laws of the Bani Khalid. You have been chosen, my son, and I hope you are worthy of the task and make us proud. A whole generation will sing your praises for your heroism."

Ali replied, "Sing my praises? What heroism are you talking about, mother? I don't understand anything. I don't understand the nature of the mission chosen for me, nor do I know the secret of this book that distinguishes our tribe and the laws within it. I don't know the reason for choosing someone from the family every hundred years to carry out a law from its laws that only the elder and the person chosen for the task know."