Chapter 12

After the completion of the fifth task and becoming tied, Khalid and Nalan went to the palace to take a break. When Nalan entered the palace, he was greeted by Wahaj, who said to him, "Tell me, my brother, what is the result so far? Are you the winner, or is that young man?" Nalan replied, "We are tied so far, my brother, and the sixth task is scheduled for the day after tomorrow. Then, the seventh and final task will take place, and whoever wins it will have their name immortalized among the tribes for a hundred years."

Wahaj looked at his brother with a hateful look, but he smiled a smile full of malice and said to him, "Alright, my brother, I hope you will be the winner and immortalize the name of Washindi among the tribes." Nalan smiled and said, "I will do my best, my brother, to achieve this."

After leaving Wahaj at the entrance of the palace, Nalan headed to his room to rest. Meanwhile, Wahaj was only thinking about what would happen to him if Nalan became the winner. His name would become immortalized for a hundred years, and maybe even for the next eight hundred years. His name would be remembered by every chosen leader, and not only that, but he would also become the heir and ruler after the current ruler, Tiam al-Araf. The devil whispered to Wahaj that he must get rid of Nalan so that he can become the ruler after his father and be the second king of Washindi.

The devil began to paint a picture for him and draw for him how his future would be if he became the heir to the throne. He told him that he must get rid of his brother before he enters the final mission, as he may be the winner if he enters the final mission. However, at one point his heart began to beat and he remembered how Nalan was afraid for him when he fell from the horse, and how Nalan rushed to save him and stayed by his side all night until he regained his health. How obvious his fear for him was, how could he do this to him and just think of getting rid of his brother when he never hurt him? How bad of a person he is if he does this to his brother, how then will he be trustworthy to his family or his people? And if he does this, he will prove to his father that he really does not deserve to have a place after him. How will Tiam react if he tries to do something to Nalan? The matter is not that simple and he will lose a lot if he commits this criminal act. If he does not control his thoughts and leave himself to the devil's whispers, he will lose himself and everything. He must wake up from this negligence before he regrets it later.

He became restless, torn between his heart and his devil that tempted him to get rid of Nalan, so he could rule after his father and have Washindi under his rule instead of Nalan's. Nalan was in his room thinking about the end of this mission and whether he or Khalid would be the winner. At first, he didn't care who the winner would be, but now he had a strong desire to be the winner and not Khalid. He wanted to be the hero in this law and have his name immortalized among generations. He wondered how difficult the next task would be and whether it would be easy or not, but the situation was not easy for him. He started thinking a lot about his father Tiam, and he was afraid of losing the task, which would cause him great disappointment. These laws were enacted to avenge Tiam from these people for what they did to him when he was young, and he wanted to take revenge for his older sister who was killed innocently. So, Nalan motivated himself a lot to win this task.

On the other hand, Khalid was thinking about the last task, whether he would win or not, and whether he would return to his family. He also thought that the time was coming to an end for the first law tasks, and he would not see Yasmina again. He would miss her and this beautiful city of Washindi, which had affected his heart with its beauty, laws, and system. Many thoughts kept crossing his mind, and he was confused.

On the other hand, Tiam and Hutun were in their room discussing the same topic, that the tasks of the first law were about to end, and Tiam is afraid that Khalid will win this task and he will feel disappointed if that happens. If Khalid wins, it would mean his own defeat and he would feel that Salmani has stabbed him in the heart once again. He wishes this time to feel the victory over him, even if it's just for once, to make Salmani and his family feel shame and disgrace as they made him feel all these years, being expelled from his tribe without guilt. He does not want to suffer again.

Hatun said to Tiam, "Let's assume for example that Nalan didn't win this law and maybe Khalid wins. Will your treatment of Nalan change? When you kidnapped Nalan from Al-Qasim, you didn't kill him in revenge for your daughter's murder, and Nalan is Khalid's twin. You preferred Nalan to be the warrior who stands in front of his brother Khalid so that they both kill each other. I think that was your goal in the beginning, but that changed when you raised him with us and made him our son. You didn't differentiate between him and your children, Wahaj and Yasmina, and sometimes gave Nalan more love than our children. What is the reason for your change in this regard? And why did you love this boy and make him your son, even though he may become the ruler of this city that you worked hard to build?"

Tiam looked at Hatun as he listened to her question and answered her. He still didn't know why he had this change of heart and why he didn't seek revenge against Salmani for killing his grandson, just as he did when he killed my daughter without any guilt. I created these laws to make them live in fear and anxiety all these years, but the fear and anxiety on his descendants is the greatest punishment for Salmani and his descendants. However, the surprise that he will face later is great.
Hatun wondered what surprise he meant and what would happen later. He told her that he still did not know if what he wanted would happen as he wished, or if it would change. Let us leave it to time for now because there are always unexpected things that happen to change the course of events. Let us see what happens, and we will see who will win in the end, Tiam or Salmani and his descendants.

At the moment when Tiam and Hatun were talking, Wahaj was standing at the door of the room, wanting to enter his father's room, but suddenly he heard the conversation between his mother and father, and here he knew that Nalan was not his brother and that he was Khalid's twin. The story is bigger than he thought. So he has been living with them all these years as if he were their elder brother, and he has all this status in the hearts of his father Tiam and his mother Hatun as if he were their real son and as if he would be the one to be the heir to the throne later. How is that? Wahaj felt resentful towards Nalan, as he wanted to turn all the events in his favor and wanted to get rid of him, not making him his brother, and he would not be the heir to the throne. Instead, what his father originally wanted to do was to seek revenge against Salmani, which Wahaj would achieve but without telling anyone. Thus, Wahaj began to think of a plan to turn the tables in his favor and not for Nalan.

Wahaj remembered that there is a person who has problems with his father and that Tiam has put him in jail so that he doesn't cause trouble in the city. What if Wahaj promised to get him out of jail in exchange for getting rid of Nalan and keeping him away from his path? Wahaj took advantage of everyone being asleep in their rooms and went to the place where this man's father was holding him, where he was imprisoned in an old house far from sight.

However, there were guards at the house to prevent anyone from reaching this man. He thought of a way to enter this man's cell without the guards noticing him. Wahaj sneaked into the area where the house was and waited for an hour until the men fell asleep, and then he would try to enter the house from the back where there were no guards.

Wahaj reached the back of the house and was looking for an entrance until he found a small window. He began to call out to this man in a low voice and told him, "I have an offer for you. If you fulfill it, you will be free from this jail." The man asked, "Who are you, and why do you want to get me out of here?" Wahaj said to him, "It doesn't matter who I am, but all you have to do is get rid of a person named Nalan, who is the son of the elder Tiam. You must get rid of him in any way to keep him away from the palace and make him fail the mission. I will help you get out of here, but I will give you a lot of money afterward to help you start a new life." The imprisoned man said, "I have no objection, but get me out of here and show me where this person is and what his specifications are, and I will execute what you say because I also want to take revenge on Tiam the soothsayer for imprisoning me." The man asked Wahaj, "How will you get me out of here and when?" Wahaj replied, "I will sedate the guards, and then I will be able to get you out of here, but our appointment is tomorrow. I will be here at night for you to carry out the required mission." Wahaj left the man and ran quickly away from this place so that no one could see him.

Wahaj was waiting patiently for the time to pass, waiting for the hour when he would go to the man and take him out of there so he could carry out the mission and get rid of the issue of Nalan and his presence in Washindi.

© Doaa Khaled

Washindi laws