hughes fam

"didn't you flash your green eyes at me?"
——taylor swift

"DELILAH" i heard over the phone as i answered my best friends call.

"WHAT?"
"please please please, go with me to my drafting party. i'm already so nervous and i need some emotional support and there's no better person to take than you."
"why me?"
"no one else will go, cause they're all going on vacation for summer and alsoooo you owe me cause i went to your cheer competition in february."
"damn it, i hoped you forgot about that."
"never. it was actually pretty fun watching."
"cheer comps are really fun when you're not in it."
"i know, you've called me crying about them all the time. but pleaseeeee delilah."
"fine, but you owe me. i'm going to be in a room full of people i don't know."
"relax, i'll introduce you to my brothers and my parents, they already know who you are."
"huh, you talk about me, hughes?"
"yes, only cause my mom was nagging me about why i wanted to go to a random cheer competition. so ever since then they ask for pictures and videos of you."
"good ones, i hope."
"there's some pretty interesting ones i'll say that."
"of course there are."
"ok well i'm gonna let you go i have to help set up the house for tomorrow, i'll send you my address and times and whatnot."
"ok, see you tomorrow, luke."
"bye, deli."

i hung up the phone and sighed, laying down on my bed.

luke hughes has been my best friend since we started college last year. we both had a couple of the same classes and we found it easy to talk to each other, so we hung out often with my twin brother, and here we are.

i am living with my brother in an apartment in michigan. our mom lives in our home state of illinois, and she agreed that we were old enough to live on our own. so we share an apartment and my brother and i take care of most expenses, our mom helps sometimes.

our dad hasn't made much of an appearance in our lives since we reached the age of five. if he did it was to make our lives hell.

my mom has had to get an attorney against him multiple times. he was in the navy so as soon as he had my brother and i and married to my mom he was bound to help pay expenses. and also he is supposed to pay for my brother and i's college funds.

he didn't do that so my mom had to take him to court and thankfully we won, so my brother and i had some funds to help my mom pay for our college.

he also wouldn't let us have passports so we had to get an attorney for that to, although they couldn't really do anything if he wasn't cooperating so we had to wait to get them until we were eighteen. which was only last year.

i looked at the time and saw that it was already getting kind of late so i decided to call it a night and get some shut eye before tomorrow's adventures.

i plugged my phone into the charger and brushed my teeth, turning my lights off and laying in bed. within a few minutes i knocked out.

the next day i woke up with the sun shining in my face. i let out a groan and checked the time. 9:34.

i got up and did my morning routine, deciding to dampen my hair and wrap them in my heatless curls rope, hoping that it'll dry and curl so it won't be in for so long.

i went to my closet and looked at my clothes. i didn't really know what to wear to this sort of thing so i shot luke a quick text and asked him what kind of event this was.