the archer

"i've been the archer, i've been the prey
who could ever leave me darling, but who could stay i see right through me, i see right through me"
——taylor swift

no words could truly capture the way i'm feeling right now. i'm confused, self conscious, anxious, and emotionally exhausted all at the same time.

i woke up at around 7:30 in the morning and no one was awake. not suprising.

i headed down the stairs anyway and walked all the way down to the basement where i knew the hughes had a piano.

i learned how to play the piano first with the song last kiss, by taylor swift. it was an absolutely beautiful piece and of course i had to teach myself how to play it.

i spent countless hours and days and weeks at the piano and when i finally understood the jist of it the piano became a second language to me.

then i learned the guitar. music was always my escape, something i took very seriously.

i rested my hands against the keys and immediately started playing a song i could relate to; the archer.

i've always dreamt of going somewhere with music in my life but the idea was always shut down by the people in my life, saying it's a silly dream and it wouldn't ever go anywhere.

my grandpa was the only one who truly believed in me, so when he died it was like a part of me was gone. all the hopes and dreams i had faded away with his life.

when taylor swift released her song marjorie in the evermore album, i cried for days. it resurfaced all the memories i had with my grandpa, but in a way it made me more at peace. it helped me come to terms that i wasn't alone, this was just a bump in the road and no matter what, he'll always be there for me whether i know it or not.

I wake in the night, I pace like a ghost
The room is on fire, invisible smoke
And all of my heroes die all alone
Help me hold onto you

I've been the archer
I've been the prey
Screaming, who could ever leave me, darling?
But who could stay?
(I see right through me, I see right through me)

Cause they see right through me
They see right through me
Can you see right through me?
They see right through
They see right through me
I see right through me

All the king's horses, all the king's men
Couldn't put me together again
'Cause all of my enemies started out friends
Help me hold onto you

I've been the archer
I've been the prey
Who could ever leave me, darling?
But who could stay?

as i played the last note i took my hands off the keys and jumped once a hand touched my shoulder.

"holy shit, jack you scared the crap out of me."
"sorry, i didn't mean to. that was beautiful, though."
"thanks... taylor is a lyrical genius."
"and you have the voice of an angel."
"i do not."
"do too, and don't make me argue with you." he shook his finger at me.

i laughed and shook my head, looking down at the piano.

"how'd you learn how to play?"
"i taught myself. it isn't super hard once you get into the rhythm of it. although it might just be that i'm musically gifted." i said sarcastically.