saying goodbye

"free of, women with madness their men and bad habits and then it was bought by me"
—— taylor swift

my flight with luke to go to chicago was quite early in the morning. the flight was at 6:30 so we decided to get there around 4:30 just so we had time to get through security and chill for a bit before we had to be on an uncomfortable plane.

jack volunteered to drive us both to the airport so he could say goodbye and make sure we got in ok.

he texted me a few minutes ago that he was on his way so i was sitting in my apartment living room waiting for him to text me that he's here. 

jack <3

hey dells
we're here

delilah <3

ok i'm walking down

i walked down and out the door to jacks car that was parked in front of my apartment. luke got out and grabbed it from me putting it in the trunk while i got in the front with jack.

"hi."
"hey. you excited?"
"yeah. but mostly tired."

he laughed and waited for luke as he got in the car with us.

i leaned onto the window as jack began to drive us to the airport. everyone was quiet and the radio was down low. almost no one was driving at this time except for a few stray cars.

luke fell asleep in the backseat so jack took the advantage and rested his hand on my leg. i looked over at him and smiled, him returning the favor before he had to look back at the road.

i laid my hand on his and messed with one of the rings on his fingers. i was looking down at our hands before jack spoke up.

"you ok?"
"yeah.. i'm ok."
"you're quiet."
"it's four in the morning everyone is quiet." i chuckled.

"true. how are things with connor?"

i sighed and kept looking at our hands that were laying in my lap.

"i haven't really talked to him. i asked him if he wanted to go visit our mom and sister with us and he said no. even my older brother is going so we can all see each other but he refused to go so i gave up on it and haven't said anything to him since."
"so he's mad at you?"
"i guess. i mean i did tell him i wish i was never born his sister and i did talk shit on him in front of his friends, so i guess he has a right to be mad."
"but he doesn't though, deli. he talked shit about you behind your back with his friends that are horrible people."
"they weren't that bad." i mumbled.

"they slut shamed you, delilah. that's horrible. they are that bad. no brother should ever defend someone calling his sister a whore or whatever they call it. at that point he's below the minimum of being a brother. i don't have sisters, i grew up with two brothers and even then we never treat each other with that kind of disrespect. sure he can say you're annoying and whatnot because every sibling thinks that of the other, that's what happens when you have to live with each other for years, but calling them names because of the people they hang out with is not what a sibling does."
"yeah..."

we stopped at a red light and he turned to look at me. i looked back at him and then down at our hands.

i felt his hand grab my chin and pull my face closer to his.

"remember what happened at the beach last week?..." he whispered.

"yeah.."
"can i finish what we started?"
"yes.."

and before i knew it he softly pressed his lips to mine. i know it's so cliche to say that our lips felt like they belonged together but i would be keeping you from the truth if i didn't.

his lips were soft but slightly chapped and his hand rested gently on my cheek, keeping me close.

i was first to pull away but we kept our foreheads pressed together. i slightly laughed and he did too before we sat back in our seats and stared out at the road in front of us.

the light finally turned green and jack continued driving us to our destination.

we were both lucky that it was dark outside or it would be painfully obvious that our cheeks were dark red.

"that was a long red light..."
"kinda glad it was though." he said interwining our fingers on my lap.

i lightly laughed and leaned my head back on the window just watching the streetlights and buildings pass by.

sooner or later we made it to the airport and jack and i both got out of the car. i woke luke up who somehow made it the whole way sleeping while jack got our stuff  out of the car.

luke and jack both dapped each other up before giving each other a bro hug saying goodbyes and be safes and i wills.

jack then came up to me and wrapped me in a hug kissing the top of my head.

"i'm gonna miss you." he mumbled.
"i'm gonna miss you too."
"please stay safe, ok? if you need anything you can call me and i'll take the next flight over."
"i'm sure we'll be fine, jack."
"i'm sure you will be too, but i care about you and i want you to be safe and ok."
"i know, but i promise i'll be ok. i'll call you everyday, ok?"
"ok."
"now take a deep breath, we aren't dying." i laughed.

he laughed too before letting me go and grabbing something from the car.

"i thought you might want to take this with you, to hold just in case you miss me too much."

he handed me the stuffed turtle from his lake house and i laughed before taking it from him.

"thank you, jack."
"always. you guys should probably get going now."
"yeah.. we'll see you soon."
"i know. bye guys, don't have too much fun without me."
"oh trust me, we will."

he laughed and waved goodbye to us as we walked inside the airport.

"i can almost feel the painfully sappy love story between you and jack."
"we kissed in the car."
"what?! with me in it?!"
"relax, we weren't making out or anything it was short and sweet."
"finally, we've all been waiting for this moment to come."
"who's we?"
"me, abby, quinn, trevor, and chloe. we all saw your little moment at the beach but we decided to wait to confront you guys about it."
"let me guess, you're going to tell them all?"
"no shit, this is monumental, life changing, ground breaking. jack has never kissed a girl, except for one, with the intention of actually loving her. the guy is all about his ego and for some reason girls seem to boost it, but with you, that's a whole different story. he's so in love with you, delilah, and i can tell you are too."
"well i wouldn't exactly say i'm in love with him.."
"keep telling yourself that."

am i?