hatred

"baby, i know places we won't be found in they'll be chasing their tails trying to track us down"
—— taylor swift

we got home earlier today and now i'm sitting in my room in my apartment trying to build up the courage to tell my brother i'm moving out for a while.

you read that right, i'm moving to the hughes' house.

ellen welcomed me with open arms and luke, as well as jack, really wanted me to stay. jack wanted me to stay for my safety while luke only wanted me there because who doesn't want to live with their best friend?

jack was supposed to pick me up in less than an hour so i had to tell connor.

all my stuff was already packed but i left my suitcases under my bed so connor wouldn't notice them.

i took a deep breath and walked out into my living room

jack <3

hey dells i'm omw
did u tell connor yet?

lilah <3

trying to build up the courage to

jack <3

it's ok
you've got this, d

i did at first think it was weird that i had the heart  next to jacks name but i went through some of our old texts and they're slightly confusing me.

i mean, they seem really flirty so i can't help but think we were more than friends, but all i've been told was that we were just really good friends so now i don't know what we are.

tonight we're going to be driving back to the hughes lake house after jack takes me to his house and let's me get settled in, in hopes to jog up my memory a bit.

i took a deep breath after reading jacks text a few times and walked out into the living room to see him with a girl.

"uh, hi."
"oh! hey delilah! i heard about the car crash, i'm so sorry."
"i- uh, sorry, do i know you?"
"yeah? we met at the skating rink?"
"oh- i lost some of my memory so."
"oh my god, i didn't know, well im delaney."
"connor can i talk to you?"
"just tell me here im kinda busy."
"yeah, right." i mumbled, "i'm moving to the hughes' house for a while.. they want me there when school starts so i'm not alone and-"
"no."
"w-what do you mean no?"
"you're not going."
"it isn't your decision."
"it is actually, im your older brother i should be able to decide where you're going."
"connor you're older than me by like two minutes, and what i do is none of your business i don't even have to tell you."

i started walking away before i heard connor say something under his breath.

"what?" i turned around.

"my friends were right, you are just a slut." i stood there frozen.

"connor!"
"what? it's true."
"fuck you, don't you ever talk to your sister that way. here delilah, let me help you with your stuff."

she grabbed my hand and led me over to my room.

we silently took my suitcases and i grabbed a blanket for the car ride and we walked out of my apartment.

we rode the elevator down in silence and i waited for jack to text me he was here.

i saw a car pull up and jack hopped out walking inside to see me already standing there. he looked at delaney wearily but she just smiled at him and then back at me.

"have fun, delilah. and i'm really sorry for what connor said."
"it's ok..." she gave me a hug and helped us put my stuff in jacks car.

she waved a goodbye and jack opened the passenger side for me to hop in.

i got in the car and he closed the door, walking over to his side of the car.

i wrapped myself in my blanket and leaned against the window. i could tell jack knew something was wrong but he started the car anyway and drove off.

it was awkwardly quiet, not like in those love stories where the quiet is calming. the silence in the car is so loud, i've never heard silence quite this loud.

we stopped at a red light before jack glanced at me and then back at the road.

"it didn't go well?"
"no.."
"what happened, deli?" he asked in more of a concerned tone than a curious one.

"i don't wanna talk about it.." i whispered.

he grabbed my hand and intertwined our fingers, gently rubbing my hand with his thumb. he brought our hands up to his lips and lightly kissed my knuckles before bringing them back down to my lap.

a few minutes later we pulled up into a driveway to a really nice house. it was big but im assuming that was so everyone had their own space, or so ellen could have her own space. living with a bunch of boys is annoying and i only ever lived with three at a time.

jack came around and helped me out of the car and we both got my stuff from the car.

we walked in the house and i was greeted with hugs from the hughes family and trevor and abby who wanted to come over and help me get comfortable. they were going to drive with us to the hughes lake house later that day.

"deli, wanna come with me to your room?" jack asked.

i nodded with a small smile and we walked up the stairs of the house to a room at the end of a long hallway.

he opened the door and let me in first. it was a spacious room with two large windows and a queen sized bed at the back wall. it had white floral sheets and pink and white pillows neatly placed on the bed.

there were a bunch of stuffed animals lining the bed including the cutest little rhino i had ever seen.

i giggled and picked it up smiling down at it.

"he's cute isn't he?" jack said placing a hand on my shoulder.

"yeah..."
"how do you like your room?"
"i love it."
"good, you'll be staying here for a while."
"i think that's for the best.."

he offered me a smile and i slightly smiled back but he could tell it wasn't a genuine smile. he wrapped me in a hug and kissed the top of my head.

"i know this whole thing has been really hard on you, delilah. but you can talk to me whenever you need to, alright?"
"ok."
"now let's go, i think the others are waiting for us to leave."

i grabbed my suitcase that i packed the two weeks we were staying at the lake house and left the room with jack holding his hand.

🦋🦋🦋