this love

"we're just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeat"
—— harry styles

today marks the second to last day we will be at the lake house and i can not remember anything.

the worst part is that tomorrow we're leaving and this was one of my only hopes of getting my memory back.

i can't help but feel like a major burden to the hughes because as far as i know, i'm a stranger in their house. yeah, i've known them for a few months but i can't remember any of that, so maybe i don't act the same way i did to them before, maybe they won't like this new me.

i was trying to tie my hair up in a bun to do my skincare and take my makeup off but it wasn't working the way i wanted so i ripped it out of the hair tie and leaned my hands on the counter.

my breathing quickened and i placed my hand on my chest while scratching at my neck to try and force myself to breath.

hot tears ran down my face while i found a pair of scissors. i decided to do what any teen would do while they hated their appearance, i decided to cut my hair.

i grabbed the scissors while still crying before my bedroom door was opened and jack walked in. he spotted me in the bathroom and quickly ran over.

"woah woah woah, what are you doing?" he asked taking the scissors out of my hands.

i only kept crying with my hand pressed tightly against my chest.

"hey, look at me, ok?" he grabbed my hand from my chest and placed it against his.

"just feel my heartbeat and try to slow yours down. take some big deep breaths for me, delilah."

i complied and took some shaky breaths. it took a bit but soon enough i was breathing almost back to normal and my crying stopped. my face was swollen and soaked with tears.

jack cupped my face with his hands and wiped some of the tears away before giving my forehead a kiss.

he picked me up and placed me on the counter so he was standing in between my legs.

"what were you doing when i walked in delilah?" he asked softly.

"i hate myself. i hate that i can't remember, i hate that i'm torturing you and everyone else because i can't remember, i hate the scar i have on my arm from surgery, i hate the stitches that are on my jawline, i hate that i can't look at myself and remember who i was before i got hit, i hate the way i look-"
"so you were trying to cut your hair?"

i looked down and nodded.

"i know it sounds stupid but i was just really hoping that if i changed something then i'd come to terms with the fact that my memory may never come back."
"it will, delilah. you just have to give it time-"
"i have, jack. it's been a month since everytbing happened. the doctor said it shouldn't take this long so why can't i remember anything?"
"... i.. i don't know, delilah."
"see? no one knows. no one has answers for me and it's killing me slowly, jack. i can't do it anymore."

he sighed and left the bathroom. i sat there in confusion before he came back with my stuffed animal turtle and sat it in my lap. he placed his hands on my waist and turned me around so i was facing the mirror.

"are you sure you want to cut your hair?"
"yeah..."
"i'm not a professional, but i've cut my moms hair a few times when she was too busy to go get it done herself. so i'll do my best but i can't promise anything."
"it's hair, it'll grow back, right?"

he nodded with a smile before he grabbed the scissors off the counter and taking a deep breath.

he took a brush from my drawer and gently brushed through my hair. it was so long it was to my lower back and honestly i've wanted to cut my hair short for a while so why not do it now?

he took the scissors and went to work cutting it off. i didn't really know what he was doing or how short it was but all i know is that it must be a lot.

he ended up placing a towel over the mirror so i couldn't see what he was doing which made me a bit nervous but also a bit excited.

we both ended up recording a bit of it to post onto our social medias because lots of people have been wondering why we've all been MIA for the past month. this would just make it a little more entertaining to watch.

music was playing in my bedroom so jack and i quietly listened while he cut my hair.

i know he did some sort of version of curtain bangs because he asked me to turn around and cut some pieces by my face. i've watched quite a few brad mondo videos to know at least that was something he did.

when he finally stopped cutting he looked at me and smiled.

"ok, you ready?"
"no.."
"it looks good, i promise deli."
"ok.."

he reached behind me and took the towel off the mirror before turning me around to face it. he moved my hair to rest on my shoulders and when i saw it i immediately gasped.

he cut it just below my shoulders which means he cut at least eight inches off. the bangs actually looked really good and framed my face pretty well.

jack smiled at me in the mirror and sat his chin on my shoulder, giving my cheek a kiss.

"do you like it?"
"jack, i love it! are you sure hockey is your calling?"

he laughed at me before i turned back around and wrapped him in a hug. he hugged me back and we stayed there for a couple minutes. he let go and looked down at the floor where all of my hair laid.

"i'm going to go downstairs and get the broom to clean this up, you sit in your room and we can go down and show everyone together, yeah?"
"yeah."

he did as he said and came back up the stairs with the broom.

while he was in the bathroom i was listening to the music while laying on my bed when this love by taylor swift came on.

and that's when it hit me.

we kissed.

we kissed and i love him. i love jack hughes.

i sat up in my bed and sat in horror at what just happened. i can remember everything.

jack came back in my room and looked at me.

"what's the matter?"
"i love you." i blurted.

he stopped dead in his tracks and turned to me.

"w- what?"
"i love you. you kissed me and i love you."
"i- h-how do you know that?"
"you kissed me. you almost did on the beach. we danced to this love in here, i told you about my grandpa and i love you jack."

it took him a minute before he walked over grabbed my face and smashed his lips on mine. i wrapped my arms around his neck.

this love is good
this love is bad
this love is alive back from the dead
these hands had to let it go free and, this love came back to me