030

May 3, 1991

Todays a recording day. Joining the band as a second guitarist was honestly something I would have never imagined.

Now here I am getting ready to record for our upcoming album, 'Nevermind'. I can't believe our luck.

We had to fly out to Wisconsin, for recording. Everyone left for the studio at different times, But we had to be there by 10:30.

I finished getting dressed and walked out of my room. The halls were empty but the hotels main lobby was pretty full.

I stopped downstairs to have something to eat, And left for the day.

I didn't get a cab, instead I decided to walk
around since I have some time. As I near the corner I see a familiar face.

"Oh hey Y/n!"

"Hey dave! What are you doing here?"

"I could say the same." He laughs. "I thought I could walk around before going to the studio."

"I thought the same thing!" I exclaimed.

We both laughed.

"So what are you gonna do now?" I ask

"Nothing, unless you wanna do something?"

"Do you wanna check out this record store down the street?"

"Yeah sure, come on!"

We walk down the street and walk into the store.
"Wow!" I saw looking around. The walls are lined with posters, and art. Every inch of the store is filled with instruments, And records.

I run over to a bin and start searching through it.
"No way, I was looking all over for this!" I pull out the album 'surfer rosa' by the pixie's.

"You like the pixies?" He asks, almost as if he's shocked. "Yeah, duh!" I smile at him. He smiles back.

"I do too, they're great!" He beams. We continue walking around and end up at the register. Dave is getting some drum sticks, And I got a few picks.

"No way..."I hear dave say. He grabs my arm and runs over to a Photo Booth.

"Wanna do it?" He looks down at me with bright smile. "Yeah, come on!" I pull him into the booth.
He puts a dollar into the machine and we start.

"Okay do a...silly face!" I say. We both stick out tounges out and try not to laugh while looking at our faces.

"Okay, do a face shocked face!" He says. We both stare and point at the camera. With our best shocked face.

"Do one like you're playing an instrument!" I say.

Dave pulls out the drum sticks he bought and I pulled out a pick from my pocket. We posed and had one more picture.

"Say cheese!" The machine says. Me and Dave smile, and wait for our picture to be taken. We both look at each other an laugh while waking out of the machine and smiling and laughing at each other.

We start to walk over to the studio, it's silent but comfortable. I pull out the pictures from my pocket, And can't help but laugh. "Look." I show him the pictures and he starts to laugh as well.

"You know Dave you don't have to call me y/n all the time." He looked over at me. "Well I know it's my name and all." I laugh. "But it's to formal."

"Oh okay sooo I'm stuck on what to call you now." He chuckles. "Call me what everyone else does." I shrug.

We end up in front of the studio, And start to walk in. Before we walk through the door he stops me. "Thanks for hanging out with me beanster." He ruffles my hair and we walk through.

"SEE! I knew you had it in you." I push him softly and we go to the fourth floor.

Overwhelmed with excitement and nervousness, Dave and I joined everyone else in the recording studio.

Days turned into weeks, and weeks turned into months. Since the last time we recorded for this album.

As the album took shape, our confidence grew. It was like the band was finding its own voice within everyone else.

We stared recording a song "Smells Like Teen Spirit." While practicing before, Kurt passed off the solo to me.

We would jump and sing. Dave and I had background vocals for some songs. Krist got an opening baseline and got to do a vocal intro. It was great!

While working on a song 'drain you' I could help but admire Kurt as he went over the lyrics. It was my favorite song album.

Kurt must have been in a good mood so me and him sang the whole song together.

For the next song we recorded 'lithium' but we had to stop. Kurt messed up his throat while singing, so they cut recording short.

"Today was really fun!" Krist says. "Yeah it was!" Dave says. I look over at Kurt who is smiling, but isn't talking because of his throat.

"Me and Kurt also had fun!" I say jokingly. He looks at me and nudges my arm, smiling brighter than before. We all walk arms wrapped around each other down the street not knowing what's next.