20 | favor

Amanda

*

I got a call from Genevieve while receiving a lecture. My screen lit up silently, and after peeking at the name on the screen, it was hard to suppress my curiosity enough to fully concentrate for the rest of the lecture. She hardly ever spoke to me on the phone. I'd had phone number for years, but it really just sat there. I know a good number of people who would loose their minds if they got a call from Genevieve Mallard, regardless of the purpose.

Right after we were finished, I packed my things and rushed out the door, postponing my initial plan to speak with my professor before I left. I dialed her, brought the phone up to my ear and held my breath.

"Hello, Amanda!" Her voice was crisp and lively. "How are you?"

"I'm doing great, professor. How have you been holding up concerning Nicholas?"

She kissed her teeth and sighed. "It's taken a lot for all of us, especially Finn. It's why I called you actually. I've got a favor to ask of you."

A wave of panic shot through me from the fact that I didn't know what to expect and most of all, I wouldn't be able to say no to her.

"I'm all ears."

"Nicholas' funeral is this weekend at his private island. It's a small affair, just some family friends and close associates and I really want you to come with," she explained. "For Finn."

I felt my mouth part open. That meant his family would be there, including Octavia and River. I recalled the one time I'd been in a room with a large number of them, during Finn's birthday dinner. They had been anything but pleasant, with the evening ending with chaos— hostile commentary that ultimately ended in a fight between Finn and his half cousin.

And judging by the words they'd exchanged, I was the topic that had them throwing fists.

"I think it would be helpful to him if he had you around," she continued quickly, like she had limited time to convince me. "I've seen the way he lights up around you. I want that for him. I want to see him not sad."

"I'll do it. I'll come."

She let out a breathy laugh. "Oh, you don't know how grateful I am. But if it's something you don't want to do, I would understand completely. There's no harm in me asking."

"No, no, it's no problem at all, professor. I'll go with him."

"Great! You don't have to let him on about the details of this conversation. I'll just tell him I invited you. You're like family, anyway."

"Thank you, professor. That means a lot coming from you. How long will we be there for?"

"Ah, two, three nights at most. I'll be going with the rest of the family on one jet but I'm sure Finn would want the privacy of his."

And if Natalie and Elliot weren't coming along, that meant it would be him and I.

"Got it."

"Alright, Amanda. Take care now. I'll let you know if I've got any other information to relay. Goodbye."

"Goodbye, professor."

After the call ended, I dialed Natalie immediately.

"Amanda, how are you?" Her cheery voice filtered through the phone.

"I'm doing okay. Are you busy today? Can I see you?"

"Of course you can. Is anything wrong?"

"Uh, Finn's aunt just asked me to tag along for the funeral of Nicholas Young. I don't know what to expect and need some advice."