24 | serene

Amanda

*

The island beat my imagination by a long mile. While we still rode the boat it looked tiny surrounded by all that water, but standing right on it and staring at the greenery that spanned as far as the eye could see, it felt a whole lot more enthralling. The coral-fringed island was all washed white sand that my shoes dug into once we got off the boat.

Finn bent down and undid the laces of his shoes, then took them off altogether. I watched in mild amusement as his feet got submerged in the sand. I couldn't blame him. I'd hate to ruin an expensive pair of shoes too. He looked up and caught my eye, then smiled to me like a nudge to mirror him. I was impressionable, I was sheep, so I did the same thing too and was pleasantly surprised by how cool the sand was.

The boat driver retrieved our life vests and waited behind. I think people were coming to get our bags off the boat soon, as Finn and Parker began into the island. I followed behind them, still recovering from the fast paced ride here. Finn had been all too nice to me since we got to the airport back at New York. I was very hesitant in taking up his offer to hold his hand during the speedboat ride, because it had sounded like he was joking when he offered, but when the boat got into motion and forced the contents of my stomach dipping, I didn't care if he'd been serious or not.

Was this all an act? To ease me gently into my reality here? I didn't want to think that. I chose not to.

"Your mother just emailed me. She and some others will be arriving on the island by helicopter in an hour." Parker said as he read from the screen of his phone.

He hadn't said a word since we started the trip. I thought he was quiet, too quiet and reserved for the madness that was the Harris family. The first time I saw him was at the wedding, and then I didn't have a clue who he was to Finn. Now though, I understood that he was Finn's personal assistant. I had no idea when he began working with him. I couldn't trace him back to years before, because Finn never had his assistant trail him so closely like he did now. I wondered what marked the switch. Plus, both men were incredibly reserved.

Finn sent him a bemused expression. "Helicopter? I thought the helicopter wasn't available today."

"The Young's isn't. She made impromptu arrangements for another one."

He shook his head and laughed, like he was caught between disbelief and amusement. "I bet she couldn't imagine being on a speedboat for over an hour. That woman loves her comfort. I should walk in her footsteps more," his eyes cut to me. "I guess you won't have to hold my hand on another boat ride."

Again, with the playfulness, but heat crept up my face so hard and quick, it stung. There was no hiding it too, and I gave up altogether and focused on quickening my pace like I knew where I was headed.

"How long have they owned the island?" I asked, referring to the Young family.

"Hmm. It's been over ten years, that I know for sure. Twelve or so." Finn's voice came from behind. We were closer to one building that stood taller than the rest. There was a broad path leading to it, marked by sturdy but worn wooden floorboards.

"How many times have you been to the island?"

"Four. This is my fifth. Nik loved to come here when he needed a break from everything," his voice sounded like it was drifting away as he spoke. "It was like his own secret place away from the cooperate madness and dizzying frenzy of the city. He loved how simple it is here, and I can see why. Wake up, feel the fresh, cool breeze, lie on the beach, let your body get engulfed by the teasing waves. And it's so quiet here. Everything feels so different. Your body and soul feels more meaningful."