Magnetic Lips

"Uh... Um... Th-thanks." Jade stutters as her hands lightly close around the plastic piece, pulling them back against her chest without placing the cap back on the lipstick.

My lips stretch into a warm smile as I mirror her action, "You're welcome."

We both fall silent, standing there in the bathroom looking at one another. I couldn't tell what kind of expression I had on my face at the moment but I was glad that I wasn't the only one unhinged. Jade had the same shell-shocked expression as I was sure I did.

The silence between us seemed pregnant as it stretched on until a shrill ringing settled itself in my ears. 

You don't get many moments like this, like the universe had conspired to give you this extended idea of time and space to make a decision.

That extra 20 seconds during exams where you're deciding on that particularly difficult multiple choice question.

Or when you're drunk and get into fight; you stand in the alley deciding whether to stick around to prove your point or run for your life. 

When your lane is the slowest moving one in the highway and the lane beside you just opened up because the mother in the minivan got distracted by her wailing infant so you sit there deciding whether you should cut her off or not.

Moments where it feels like the universe taps on your shoulders and whispers for you to make a choice. Like that shrill ringing in your ear was destiny itself whispering to you:

'Move! Talk! Do something, idiot!'

Most often than not, we make a choice. Because we know the worst feeling is when you're faced with that moment and you do nothing but watch that moment pass you by.

Fourteen seconds.

That's how long our moment was.

I managed to swallow down my nerves thirteen seconds into the said moment. Thirteen seconds of just staring at those lips trying to figure out what to say.

"Jade—" "Excuse me." Another voice cuts me off before walking through the space between Jade and I.

I recognize the outfit as one of our higher grade students, possibly a highschool freshman or sophomore.

"Sorry."

"Sorry." We mutter at the same time before taking a step away from each other and as soon as the woman closes the stall door, a shy scoff escapes me.

"Uh, I guess I should leave you to... do your thing." I say, motioning to the lipstick in her hands.

"Yeah, I'll... I have to put this on." Jade stutters before adding, "I didn't get a chance to put makeup on earlier and I'm sure I look like a corpse." with a soft chuckle.

I smile at her words, "I think you look beautiful."

My smile quickly fades as I try to recover and I felt my jaw drop as soon as I registered what I had just said. "Uh... I mean..."