As Inevitable As Fate

After the initial shock of our meeting wore off, Jade and I decided to get started on the day we had had just begun. She had offered her car but I managed to convince her to let me drive and to take the CRV instead, it had rained last night as well as this morning and I wouldn't want her car BMW to get caked in mud.

Plus, the kids in the community weren't used to seeing such a beautiful car and it might call unwanted attention to us.

Jade agreed without much debate and as I led her to my parking space, I couldn't help but swallow down the nerves I felt in my gut. What were the chances that Jade, of all people, would be Pearl's sister-in-law.

It just didn't happen and yet here we were.

Like a friggin' movie or a novel about serendipity. I thought dryly as we reach the car.

"This is me." I motion to my 2000 Honda CRV, feeling slightly embarrassed that it was nothing like the cars she was used to. "It's no hummer but it'll get us there." I add before opening the passenger door for her.

Jade gives me a warm smile, "I like it." she says before slipping into the passenger seat just as a light blush flourishes on my cheeks. I clear my throat discreetly before making my way to the driver seat and getting in.

We ride in silence for a few minutes before her phone rings, "Hello, David? I'm sorry but you know I can't say no to Pearl. It's for her wedding. Yes I know what the date today is, I'll try to be back early ." I could hear a male voice on the other line say something and I could feel her eyes on the side of my face

"A friend." She answers and I could easily guess what the question was. "A woman, David. No you can't talk to her because she's driving." Jade adds then scoffs at something else that he  says, "I'm not eight. I don't need you to go with me. I'll talk to you later." she barks before disconnecting the line.

Sensing her agitation, I keep my eyes on the road and remain silent to give her a few moments. Sensing the need for a distraction, I picked up my favorite 'road trip mix' CD and popped it into the player before selecting my jam.

The upbeat intro filters into the cab through the speakers and my head bobs in time with the beat. It only takes a few seconds into the song before I notice Jade nodding as well.

"I'll open up my eyes and see, the rules are there to set me free." She sings without a single word off beat. "I keep on chasing but the world won't let me be!"

"They break me now but i'm still here" I chime in with a soft laugh, and Jade smiles warmly at me, "this light inside won't disappear."

"Believe that my love is meant for something real." We sing together.

She turns with a smile then places a hand on my arm, "I love this song!" Jade says with honest surprise in her voice, "I'm impressed that you know it."
"I try to veer away from mainstream music. Found this album in a small restaurant and bought it on a whim."

"Runner's Kitchen?" She gasped and I nodded, "Ah! What a coincidence, that's where I bought mine!"

The song plays forgotten in the background as we talk about food and music that we liked and I find that we shared some of them. She gave me a small list of singers that were't mainstream and I shared with her some of my favorite restaurants that she's never been to yet.

We fall into a comfortable silence as I drove us to the mountains where our farm was located. "Why so far away?" She had asked when I told her where we were going.

I told her that in a country that was constantly overheated, the only place we could put up the farm was up in the mountains where the soil was much cooler and less acidic; allowing it to grow healthy, vibrant flowers. Our farm was placed in the perfect spot too, because with the backdrop of the Taal lake, the farm had become a sort of escape whenever I got tired of city life.

Growing more comfortable in my car, Jade had started digging through the collection of CDs I had in the glove compartment before picking one out of the bunch and slipping it into the CD tray. The sound and music of the guitars flowed through the car speakers and drowned us in the relaxing music; both Jade and I falling silent in favor of listening to the music.