Flashbacks

I had never once wanted to stay longer than 3 minutes in a bathroom until right now. The bitter taste of the goodbye I said to Jade and the fact that I agreed to be just a friend to her still coated my tongue; and all I wanted to do was to take it back but I knew I couldn't.

Especially after having my heart smashed into bits by Wila's infidelity, Jade cheating on David wasn't something I'd ever want to do. I would never want to inflict that kind of pain on anyone else, no matter how much I felt for Jade.

My feet begin to feel heavy, the flesh turning heavy like lead. They begin to drag along the soft carpeted floor and my eyes glance towards the closed door leading to the ladies' room. I could feel myself being pulled back towards it, back to where Jade was but my conscience keeps me rooted in my place.

You can't. You can't like her, Althea. You can't want her. You can't have her. You put yourself in the friendzone so you stay there.

As I mentally berate myself, I see Jade exit the bathroom; her eyes cast on her bag as she fiddled with the zipper. She walks past me without seeing me before making her way back to her table where David greeted her by standing from his seat and kissing her firmly. The kiss only lasted a fraction of a second and had no trace of familiarity or passion like how she kissed me that day. Jade pulls back and she must have said something about leaving because the next thing I know, David turns to the waiter and motions for the bill.

With them about to leave, I took it as a signal for me to make my exit. With the way they were sitting, Jade's back was turned to me but David would clearly see me if he even happened to be looking up at the crowd.

Whatever. I thought irritably before walking towards the table. I already had to hide my feelings, there was no way in hell I was going to sneak around a restaurant. Miraculously, neither David nor Jade spot me as I reach my table but my stomach twists painfully when I see that Lauren's chair is empty. The only thing at the table was a large brown paper bag and a small note taped on the side.

My shoulders drop and I pick the note from the bag, taking the creased napkin between my fingers before taking in the words it contained;

I'll see you around.

L.

With a sigh, I slip the note into my pocket before grabbing the paper bag from the table and heading towards the exit. My path takes me near Jade's table and to my non-surprise it was David that called my attention just as I pass behind the woman.

"Althea, I'm surprised to see you here." He says with a smile that less-knowing people would find as charming but I knew better, it was arrogant and it was downright annoying. So annoying that I couldn't help the venom that dripped from my tongue, "Why is that?"
His mouth opens to answer but no sound comes out, instead he sits there motioning to the rest of the dining room. "Well, I just...I didn't think a teacher's paycheck could--" "David." Jade scolds and I see her head tilt to one side, sending him a look that I couldn't see.

Feeling my anger bubbling up my chest in the next loop of my emotional roller coaster, I bit my tongue and walked out of the restaurant. There was just too many emotions that I was feeling and it wasn't even past . The burn I felt in my chest, that I suppose is the jetlag after being sent to the friendzone, still ached and throbbed under my flesh.

I just want to go home. I thought tiredly as I fished my keys out of my pocket, pressing on the rubber button to unlock the door with it's signature boo-beep tone.

"Althea? Althea wait."

David's voice makes my hand freeze on the handle and I try to take a calming breath as i listened to him approach. "What?" I bark before turning to him and Jade who was standing behind his broad shoulders; an apologetic expression on her face.