Black & White

Jade [11:37AM] Just finished talking to Pearl about the floral arrangement. She REALLY doesn't have a favorite flower. She just wants the place to look pretty. Sorry. :(

Sent [11:38AM] It's okay. Maybe we can fill the church and reception area with your favorite flowers instead?

Jade [11:38AM] I'm sure Pearl will love a room full of Gardenias. *Sarcasm*

Sent [11:39AM] Jade, I'm serious. Pearl asking me to design the wedding with ANY flower is like asking a painter to paint you whatever. They'll usually go to whatever inspires them at that time.

Her reply doesn't come as quickly as it should have and I begin to worry that I may have said something that didn't sit well with the heiress. I hook my finger around the small handle of my mug so I could take a sip, the warm bittersweet and creamy flavor of the coffee caressing my tongue and throat on it's way to my stomach.

Batchi and I were in our usual spot in the coffee shop across the street from the hospital. This is where my days now usually starts after I shower in the room and thankfully, despite the hospital being known for it's incompetent crew, nurses were available to check on my father. Of course, I still had Wila, Batchi or even Abby stand watch as I get my caffeine fix but since they said that Pa was stable, I didn't feel the need to bother them or ask them to watch him.

"What's up with you lately?" Batchi asks as she peers up at me through her thick rimmed glasses.
I hum in question before putting down my cup, "What are you talking about?"
The petite woman closes the laptop in front of her, "first of all, you and Wila as friends? Months after she cheated on you? I don't buy it. Also, we've been sitting here for hours and you've been on your phone almost the whole time, which I don't mind since I'm busy with Pearl's wedding but you used to hate being stuck on that thing. So what's up man? Is that Lauren you keep texting?"

If I had been drinking a second before, I could have used that as an excuse for the choked sound that came from my throat and the added flush to my skin. "I'm not talking to Lauren. I'm also busy with Pearl's wedding."
"Oh are you?"
"Yes. I'm--" my phone vibrates noisily and I quickly snatch it from the table;

Jade [11:45] So why ask me?

"You're?" Batchi asks, urging me to finish my statement.
"I'm... just... gonna reply to this... hold on." I answer without looking away from the screen as I typed my answer.

Sent [11:46] Take a guess. Slow replies for now, Batchi's being clingy and question-y.

"Althea, who are you texting and why are you smiling like an idiot?"
I roll my eyes and set my phone down on the table, keeping it where I could see both the screen and the notification light in case a message comes in. "I'm trying to find out what kind of flowers Pearl prefers."
"How?"
"I have my ways. Anyway, I was wanting to talk to you about that."
Batchi takes a small sip of her tea then places it gently on the table before answering, "about Pearl's wedding?"
"Yeah." I nod.
She nods in return then sits back to look at me fully, crossing one leg over the other as she settled on the seat. "What about it?"

A sigh passes my lips and my hand drifts to the back of my head, scratching it as I always did when I felt shy, "I need another job, Batch. With Pa being in the hospital for two weeks now, my paycheck isn't going get me through this month."
"That's it? Dude, no problem. With you around, I'll have more time with Abby and Marinelle. It's perfect!" Batchi grins, the dimple on her cheek deepening as her smile grew.
The phone vibrates again but I decide to let it be for now, "Are you sure?" I ask, ignoring the way my hands itched to check the message.
"Of course. There is one thing I'm worried about though."
"What is it?"
"Jade."