Wake Up

Slender fingers drummed the leather of the steering wheel as the car crossed another toll gate. The clock on the dashboard reads that it was a little over an hour since they left the farm and over four hours since either of them had anything to eat. It was early in the evening and the passenger was passed out, curled up and facing the window while wrapped in a thick blanket.

With a grumbling stomach, the car pulls up next to the closest gas station that had the most decent looking diner.

"Althea? Althea wake up." The driver coos gently, her hand hovering inches from the sleeping woman's shoulder. Jade had offered to drive after her companion began to complain of a headache, and after several minutes she finally got Althea to agree.

"Hey..." Jade whispered again, this time placing a hand on Althea's exposed arm. Her brows creased in worry as her hand pressed flush against the overheated skin.

A fever; worse than it was earlier.

The woman begins to grumble before turning to her, "Mmm.." she groaned and Jade could see the slight flush of Althea's skin from the heat.

"Althea, you're burning up."

"I'm fine. The air-conditioning is just too high."

"The car is turned off."
"Oh." Her dark brown eyes open slowly, like the moon peeking through the trees as the day turns into night. Jade couldn't help but be captivated by them and if she could, she'd live in those eyes.

If she could.

But she can't.

I can't... Her own voice echoes in the back of her mind, threatening to flash images of them in the barn.

"Where are we?" Althea asks, thankfully pulling Jade's attention back to the woman and away from that.
"A little less than an hour from the city. Vilma said to eat and drink medicine every four hours so I thought we'd stop over and grab something to eat. How are you feeling?"
Instead of answering, she watches as Althea grabs her hand before placing the palm against the smooth, albeit warm, skin of her neck. The contact caused an unfamiliar feeling to crash around inside her chest.

Want?

Desire?

Worry?

Whatever it was, it was gone as soon as she yanked her hand from Althea's grip. "Y-you're really warm. Let's... uh... Let's get some food in you." She stutters before abruptly stepping out of the car. She walks up to the the passenger side door and opens it, helping a weakened Althea out of the car and into the small diner.

As soon as they entered, Jade noticed the lone waitress that was sitting on the counter. The stranger's eyes were immediately on Althea, even turning to the side as they passed. Figuring that the woman probably wouldn't attack them, Jade chose to ignore her and instead proceeds to ordering.

Jade orders a sandwich for each of them and, with a little more urging from the heiress, an apple for Althea before settling into the booth at the back of the diner. Their food doesn't take long before being sent out and Jade watches as the tattooed blonde waitress approaches with a tray full of food.

"Good morning, ladies." She greets but Jade notices how the waitress' eyes were only on Althea.

Althea who's full attention was dedicated solely to Jade.

The waitress' shoulders slump slightly a split second before taking the plates from her tray and placing it on the table in front of us, "Grilled cheese?" As if moving with instinct, Jade took the plate from the waitress then placed it in front of Althea with a soft smile. "Eat. You need it."